Name of this type of clock?

Thread Starter


Joined Jun 4, 2014
I have seen clocks which for timekeeping have a spindle sticking out of the top which is driven by the mechanism. Fixed to the top of this spindle is a horizontal rod with two small weights on strings on each end of this rod. There are two fixed vertical rods a little further apart than the length of this rod.

As the spindle rotates, the weights swing outwards and the strings catch on the fixed rods and the weight winds the strings around them. The strings then unwind releasing the strings so the spindle rotates again until the strings catch on the rods again. Thus the spindle rotates a half turn and then pauses while the strings wind and unwind round the fixed rods. This regulates the clock (probably not very accurately).