name of connector

GVDBE

Joined Dec 13, 2018
Hello,

I had to cut a small cable (to do some welding), and now I need to connect the 2 pieces together again.
What is the name of a connector like in the picture in attachment?
I searched around on some online shops, but I can not find it.

And I need another special tool to fix the small cables into that connector? What's the name of such tool?

Thanks

Attachments

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Be prepared for the crimping tool to cost $300.00 or more.

It's a bitch, but these tiny connectors need precision steel to get crimped correctly.
You can solder the wires in, but be careful, the wires will break off easily.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Be prepared for the crimping tool to cost $300.00 or more.
It's a bitch, but these tiny connectors need precision steel to get crimped correctly.
You can solder the wires in, but be careful, the wires will break off easily.
Two solutions to that I have used:
1) If 2 mm pin spacing or larger, I have used inexpensive (<$20 USD) latching crimpers off e-Bay or RC model supply houses;
2) If smaller, I have used very fine forceps (like a surgeon's needle holder or "hemostat") to finish the crimp produced by #1. Of course, fine wire with even 2 mm may need a finishing crimp by hand. A tiny bit of solder may also be needed.

For really small stuff, you may be able avoid crimping of the female contacts by getting IDC (insulation displacement connector) housings. Of course, that may require replacing the male part too.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Mmmmm yeahh...

If you are willing to suffer failures, go ahead with the garden variety crimpers.

The contact designs of these terminals are all different.
When crimping these modern micro terminals, sub-millimeter dimensions make the difference between a loose connection and crushed, broken wires.

I love to ask my students: "Which one of these wires can fail and your project will still work?"