Name For Mini Drum Switch w/o Selector Type

Jlearn

Joined Jun 11, 2022
I am trying to find some 1 pole 5 position rotary switches with 2 terminals per position, rather than the selector type that has a common terminal. What's the terminology to use to look for these? I'm working on just a test project and am therefore looking for cheap, possibly even surplus or used. I find that I can get the motor rated ones for a lot of money, or the type with a common terminal. If I were looking for this in a low amperage application, what would I look for?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I am trying to find some 1 pole 5 position rotary switches with 2 terminals per position, rather than the selector type that has a common terminal. What's the terminology to use to look for these? I'm working on just a test project and am therefore looking for cheap, possibly even surplus or used. I find that I can get the motor rated ones for a lot of money, or the type with a common terminal. If I were looking for this in a low amperage application, what would I look for?
DP5T Rotary switch. Or 2 P 5 position. You might have better luck with 6 positions or more. Just ignore the extra positions.

Jlearn

Joined Jun 11, 2022
DP5T Rotary switch. Or 2 P 5 position. You might have better luck with 6 positions or more. Just ignore the extra positions.
Most that I find with that description in lower amperage are the ones with a common terminal and 5 positions rather than 2 terminals per position. What do I look for to get a rotary switch with 5 positions and 10 terminals?

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
2 terminals per position,
is not at all a clear description of what you want. Are the two terminals connected together when the switch is in a position? Is this distributing power to 5 loads, or 5 power sources for one load? Etc.

With two isolated poles (post #2), there will be 10 terminals, 2 per position. Please post a schematic of what you want you want to achieve, with sources, contacts, and loads. Include reference designators for each component so we can discuss individual connections.

ak

Jlearn

Joined Jun 11, 2022
is not at all a clear description of what you want. Are the two terminals connected together when the switch is in a position? Is this distributing power to 5 loads, or 5 power sources for one load? Etc.

With two isolated poles (post #2), there will be 10 terminals, 2 per position. Please post a schematic of what you want you want to achieve, with sources, contacts, and loads. Include reference designators for each component so we can discuss individual connections.

ak
Yes it would be so that each position could switch a different circuit. So two different terminals would be connected together for each position of the switch. I don’t think a two pole five position switch would be what I’m talking about. Those have a common also and many of the ones you find are six terminals per pole because they’re just selectors.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The last image on the Baomain switch page has a connections chart. A 4P6T rotary switch with an adjustable stop will duplicate that chart. I think Grayhill still makes these; Centralab got bought by Phillips.

ak