N.E.E.T.S modules or basic electronics learning books?

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
Happy New Year everyone!

I was just thinking about a website I came across a while back, on the website it has the ( N.E.E.T.S) manuals on it. There is I believe 1-22 or 1-24 modules and each module is pretty thick, I know the first one I printed out was like 155 pages. Incase you may never heard of n.e.e.t.s like me it is what the navy used or still uses to train people from what I made out of it.
Except, I am not sure if it is outdated or if I should be using it to learn from?

I have a book called basic electricity by a Van Valkenburgh, Nooger & Neville inc. that I have been reading on and off for a long time. But to me reading the neets modules is a bit easier to read for me. Not to mention I like how the neets is broken down into small pieces, has question along with the answer key, also has summary's at the end of each module for quick review instead of having to read or search through chapters again.

I just wanted to see, what some of you guys, that have been in electronics for a long time think about the neets modules and if that is the way to start off, then after the neets read other books?
My dad was in the airforce and said something that he remembers the airforce having something similar but once he was done with the airforce he went right into Devry. So I am not sure if he learned a great deal from the something similar to neets or if it was Devry...
I also, saw something that there is tests for the neets modules but when i looked at the website it said not available as of yet. I am not sure if they revise them every year or what not but anyone know where to get them? If you can only get them by paying for them please let me know. thanks

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
Now that I think about it too, does anyone have any good links or sites for free quizzes or tests to take for electronics?

I can find some quizzes or tests but there usually 10 questions, though most of them have a self grader at the end for you to see which ones you got correct and wrong. I was looking for something a little bit more.

I tried to search around for a N.E.E.T.S module tests but nothing comes up, though a while back i thought i saw somewhere it saying that the neets test is not out yet but cannot find that now.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The Navy NEETS modules are available for downloading here:
http://www.phy.davidson.edu/instrumentation/NEETS.htm

I'm uncertain of their publication date. The official documents are periodically reviewed and updated, but these have been static for a period of time.

However, even if the material is not completely up-to-date, it is still a very valuable resource.

Some of the material is actually unchanged since the 70's - that's perfectly fine though, as the basics haven't changed much, if at all.

It will take you months to go through the entire set of modules.

I don't know of any online NEETS module tests that are available to the general public.

tony8404

Joined Jun 11, 2008
Thank you for the reply and saving me hours on searching for neets testing. I have not found anything but yet one day while browsing the web on neets, i came across a site that not only let you download the pdf files but also, you could buy the cd's. Then next to that was an option to purchase tests but it said not available yet, coming soon check back. Lol, well, I lost the site and believe me i been looking.

Jam41766

Joined Apr 29, 2021
Happy New Year everyone!

I was just thinking about a website I came across a while back, on the website it has the ( N.E.E.T.S) manuals on it. There is I believe 1-22 or 1-24 modules and each module is pretty thick, I know the first one I printed out was like 155 pages. Incase you may never heard of n.e.e.t.s like me it is what the navy used or still uses to train people from what I made out of it.
Except, I am not sure if it is outdated or if I should be using it to learn from?

I have a book called basic electricity by a Van Valkenburgh, Nooger & Neville inc. that I have been reading on and off for a long time. But to me reading the neets modules is a bit easier to read for me. Not to mention I like how the neets is broken down into small pieces, has question along with the answer key, also has summary's at the end of each module for quick review instead of having to read or search through chapters again.

I just wanted to see, what some of you guys, that have been in electronics for a long time think about the neets modules and if that is the way to start off, then after the neets read other books?
My dad was in the airforce and said something that he remembers the airforce having something similar but once he was done with the airforce he went right into Devry. So I am not sure if he learned a great deal from the something similar to neets or if it was Devry...
I also, saw something that there is tests for the neets modules but when i looked at the website it said not available as of yet. I am not sure if they revise them every year or what not but anyone know where to get them? If you can only get them by paying for them please let me know. thanks
Happy New Year everyone!

How an I get to these modules?