Mythbusters final season - 2016 will be last.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I haven't watched much since my kids stopped watching TV at home but it was always fun watching things get shot or explode. It was also interesting to see my kids point out the errors in the mythbusting-logic. Errors or not, these guys were entertaining and made my kids think.

The good news, Discovery Channel has 14 years of episodes to show in repeats for years to come.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/mythbusters-discovery-ending-1201623363/

What was your favorite episode?

My favorite was when they determined that the mixing cone of a cement truck could not be cleaned with a stick of dynamite. Since the myth was busted, at the end, they blew up the entire truck with ANFO (they filled the cone and cab). The entire truck vaporized - the only thing left was part of the rear axle.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The marching robot soldiers.

I wish it was online somewhere free. Netflix and Amazon have it but other than a few exceptions, both suck on download choices.

Maybe I will pick up the DVDs.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
What was your favorite episode?
My favorite episodes were the ones where they overpressured residential hot water heaters by bypassing their thermostats and defeating their safety mechanisms, turning them into steam-powered rockets. Spectacular!!

The famous "Cement Truck Detonation" episode was a close second.

Third would be the various stunts they pulled at New Mexico Tech (or was it White Sands Proving Ground?) using rocket sleds to bust things.

Mythbusters was/is a delightfully subversive show, constantly ramming home in episode after episode the primacy of the scientific method as an arbiter of truth, over and above political correctness, conventional wisdom or the wisdom of crowds. Something is true if and only if the experimental data say it's true, not merely because you or others believe it to be true or want it to be true, no matter how fervently.

I also like the way it promoted (indirectly, at least) the idea that if you don't have at least a basic understanding of mathematics and physics, you don't really know very much about how the world works.

All things considered, a great show.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The marching robot soldiers.

I wish it was online somewhere free. Netflix and Amazon have it but other than a few exceptions, both suck on download choices.

Maybe I will pick up the DVDs.
There is a marathon of all 13 seasons planned for showing on Discovery in the last week(s) of December. Break out the VHS tapes!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Mythbusters was a very fun show to watch, but especially during the later seasons I became more and more dissatisfied with their declarations of "Busted". They're special effects professionals, not scientists. Their attempts at the scientific method grew poorer and poorer and I began to dislike certain episodes. While it was still fun to watch, I ended up disagreeing with a lot of their results. Losing Kari, Tory, and Grant was the worst thing that could have happened to the show, and I am convinced it ultimately led to its demise. Sure, Adam and Jamie are humorous and clever, but they are not the entire show. It's had a good run, but considering the quality of the recent shows, I think it's time to close up shop.

Matt

...especially during the later seasons I became more and more dissatisfied with their declarations of "Busted". They're special effects professionals, not scientists. Their attempts at the scientific method grew poorer and poorer and I began to dislike certain episodes.
Ditto!:rolleyes:

Best regards
HP

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
What is this VHS tape of which you speak?
My son was bringing a Bluray back to RedBox last summer. As he was walking out, I asked if he remembered to rewind it before putting it in the box. He double-clutched, frowned like I was an idiot, then smiled and started reminiscing about all the movies he remembered watching on VHS.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I liked the one where they were testing substitutes for a flat tire, and bolted man hole covers to the wheels. No traction at all. They were slip-sliding all over the place.

PBS is a great service. I've loved Nova, Frontline, American Experience and many great specials; The History of Jazz, Earth, The Civil War, etc.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I always liked how adam and jamie tried to do their experiments.
Here is a "busted" one about free energy:

Bertus