Mysterious voltage drop when motor connected

jkwilborn

Joined Jan 26, 2016
1.5v when I followed with my meter motor voltage. I assumed that it is the PIR that is using the other 1.5 volts (?)
You're right, I'm not ready to invest $400 in a scope yet. But I'm definitely going to continue making electronic things so one of this days maybe...?
I do have an Arduino, but the machine is going to be shown tonight and I won't be able to get it back any time soon...

And yes the switch is working! I didn't notice that big red line on the diagram :rolleyes:.

I'm kind of in a rush today but I'll post a video of the finished project soon, promise.
No perspiration about the video... I started building stuff when I was about 8. Dad was an engineer. When you get to the point of your time is worth more than the equipment, you'll get better and better stuff... There is a solid state scope that Banggood or some other chinese place sells that may be good for that. Seemed to me it was pretty cheap...

Took a minute but here is the Banggood link. The thing is one channel but it's like under 30 bucks (US, don't know where you are). You can get the kit for under 20 bucks. That would at least show you things you can't see otherwise. I'm not trying to sell you, just get you going in a good direction. I have no idea about how functional they are. But, once you get one, you will have a tough time without it..... Here's the link:

http://www.banggood.com/buy/digital-oscilloscope.html

Start small and try to figure out how to do something with what you have, not what you can buy. Sharpens you all around... An old Amateur Radio procedure. Many of the frequencies that we use today were pioneered by Amateur Radio operators and there was no equipment. They had to use what they new and make thing to adapt. Most of these frequencies have been taken away...

Scope may be a good Xmas present (either one...) Take care

Hisopio

Joined Jun 27, 2016
Thanks for the link. That is affordable. And I could work on my soldering skills! :p (and the assembling instructions seem to be in true English...!).

I had a good presentation. The machine is working fine. Everyone liked it.
Thanks again all for your help!

Here is a little video:

jkwilborn

Joined Jan 26, 2016
Nice to see the end product. Cute... I assume it's the 4.5v supply?

I believe the oscilloscope has smd (surface mounted device) and are not very easiest to install with a soldering iron. Check it out before you get the kit. I think anything that shows voltage over time would be a bennifit to anyone building stuff. May have saved you many hours it sounds like. I actually thought about one myself, but had some serious I2C stuff that it wouldn't support. Wife skipped her couch for my scope...

Take care thanks for the information...

Phil-S

Joined Dec 4, 2015
SMD's aren't too bad to do. Need a decent soldering iron with a fine tip, but most important is the flux.
Chipkwik is one of the best as it's very sticky and holds the SMD's in place. Handle the SMD's with fine tweezers or Selotape. Lightly tin the board pads then add more flux to hold the device. Line the pads up if they're gullwing type. Get one pad soldered but don't apply the solder directly to the device. If you're happy with the position, load the iron with sold and wipe it along the pads (but not close the the first one), the go over it again with a clean iron. If you make a mistake, or the pads are bridged, use solder wick to pull the solder off.
A good magnifier with illumination is a must. Commercially, all this would be done in a reflow oven - plenty of examples on Google for DIY ovens.
I would agree with jkw that a scope is almost an essential if you want to see what is going on in real time - a meter helps, but a scope gives you the full picture.
For info jkw, Picoscope now cover most of the bus protocols, including 1-Wire - you can have a look at the software for free.

jkwilborn

Joined Jan 26, 2016
Haven't done much with smd, but do have a few power mosfets that are smd mount. I use a 2n2222 for leads and cut the transistor off when I get it soldered, breadboard. They are so much cheaper. A good friend of mine does this professionally and he uses a heat gun (like Home Depot) with small tips to remove and install smd devices. I can't hardly see them!

I only stated the problem so if someone has never soldered, to be aware as this might not be the kit for them.

Hisopio

Joined Jun 27, 2016
I now about SMD. When you watch the youtube videos the solder sticks like magic, and when you try it yourself you do (I do) a mess.
But it's interesting. Just need some (lots) more practice.

Phil-S

Joined Dec 4, 2015
I now about SMD. When you watch the youtube videos the solder sticks like magic, and when you try it yourself you do (I do) a mess.
But it's interesting. Just need some (lots) more practice.
Don't rely on the flux in cored solder. Use a separate flux to hold the SMD's in place. I go down to the smallest IC's, but haven't tackled the "ball" types or the SMD microcontroller packages. Sometimes you have to buy 0.1" to say SOT23 adaptors or carefully tack on some very fine wires.
Again commercially, large runs of boards would use a stainless steel template with holes laser cut to drop the parts into and hold them in place.
Sadly, a lot of new IC's are small outline and existing DIP packages are slowly disappearing. Fortunately, companies like Atmel are still doing the Arduino chip in a DIP package