my weird inductor

tripleteamx

Joined Mar 30, 2004
Hello,

I have an experiment on an inductor which has multiple coils. I want to predict on what would happen if I have a coil wrapped by another coil and wrapped by another coil (3 concentric coils with similar winding) with the ends of each of the three coils tied together. What are the possible things that would happen if I apply an AC signal to the two 'combined' ends? Thanks.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
:) hi,

is this an assignment?

answer the following questions first and we will see how it will progress;

1. what is the diameter of your coil
2. what is the size of your magnet wire
3. how many turns do you intend to have
4. at what current are considering to inject
5. do you already know the equations governing inductors
6. is that a stand alone circuit

:rolleyes:

tripleteamx

Joined Mar 30, 2004
hello,

this is somehow an assignment on my part, i just got interested in inductors that i wanted to know more.

anyways, here are some of the answers to your questions
1. diameter of the coil is is set to variable (i.e. 1cm inner coil diameter), but the three coiled wires are closely spaced
2. size of magnet wire is uniform across the three coils (not sure if you are referring to the radius of the coiled wire, not sure about the actual size- i just set it to variable)
3. number of turns is uniform across the three coils (110 turns, or any variable number)
4. have no idea what current to inject; i just set it as a variable (set example as 500mA)
5. i only know inductance equations involving coils and parallel wires, but i don't know if these alone are appropriate
6. initially this is a standalone circuit (only AC power source and inductor)

thanks. :)

tripleteamx

Joined Mar 30, 2004
i'm quite curious on the appearance of the status icon in this topic. does this mean that the post is locked or moved into a different room? thanks....:)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
No the thread is still active in the General Electronics Chat Section.

If it had been moved, then there would be link in this section to where it had moved, and if it had been locked then there would be a locked icon present. As it stands there are no reasons to lock the thread or move it. :)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by tripleteamx@Apr 16 2004, 05:54 AM
ok... :) i see that the icon has a bright dot on it... what does it mean... thanks...
The bright dot indicates threads that you have already posted in.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi,

if your parallel coils has a capacitor in series with it or a cap in also in parallel, then it would have been a different matter. however since it is just a stand alone circuit it would come out as just like a resistor in parallel. any voltage/current introduced into the coil will come out practically the same. the only difference from a straight wire compared to caoild wire is the magnetic field generated by the supply.

for whatever use it has, well i use it a line noise interference suppressor but effectiveness is not quite desirable.