My old data book collection

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
A google search will show the same sentences including "AN012" all coming from inside AN013.

THANKS for the model. :) How long it took you to assemble that?! :eek:
It did not take very long. Maybe a couple of hours. As I remember, schematic was correct except for a couple of reference designators being wrong. Surprisingly, it worked almost the first time I did a simulation.

OK, I found the original A012 and A013 application notes.
There are some bits of history here...
Note that the application note number in my old catalog is A012, not AN012. However, the application Bertus found says it is AN013.1 and is dated November 1996.
My old A013 has a question #17 that is interesting.
I have also included the list of application notes from the 1974 Intersil catalog as well as the application note request cards in case you need to order some copies for yourself. :D

Attachments

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Here is a scan of page 1 of my battered copy of the original Exar XR8038 datasheet.

There are 8 pages in all

If scanning the whole thing is of interest, I think I will need an Email address to send to as I will need to get large files to achieve acceptable quality.

What do you think of the front page ?

Edit looking at Richard's copy of the Intersil document A012 it looks as though Intersil rearranged it when they bought Exar. Much of the information is the same, there are a couple of scope traces on the original Exar doc.

Attachments

Last edited:

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I have just been re-reading application note A012. I had forgotten how well written it was. This is a "must read" for anyone that wants a peak into some of the design concepts and decisions made in the creation of the ICL8038.

Thank you, atferrari, for bringing this wonderful circuit description back to my attention. :)

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I have just been re-reading application note A012. I had forgotten how well written it was. This is a "must read" for anyone that wants a peak into some of the design concepts and decisions made in the creation of the ICL8038.

Thank you, atferrari, for bringing this wonderful circuit description back to my attention. :)
Well, it all started when answering a thread where the OP proposed his own circuit to generate tringle waves (fliflop commanding 2 current sources). At that moment I recalled that there was one topology where a current source was running continuously, sourcing Ic, and a second one, sinking 2*Ic, 50% of the time. It always fascinated me the resourcefulnes it denotes.

As insomnia works with me, little later I recalled the ICL8038 and went straight to the datasheet.

After some tries I managed to simulate something more or less good but not enough, I guess.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
It did not take very long. Maybe a couple of hours. As I remember, schematic was correct except for a couple of reference designators being wrong. Surprisingly, it worked almost the first time I did a simulation.

Gracias for sharing it.

OK, I found the original A012 and A013 application notes.
There are some bits of history here...
Note that the application note number in my old catalog is A012, not AN012. However, the application Bertus found says it is AN013.1 and is dated November 1996.

Having tried "AN12" I failed to try "A012" :( Never wise enough. :p

My old A013 has a question #17 that is interesting.

Downloaded all already. Off to read it.

I have also included the list of application notes from the 1974 Intersil catalog as well as the application note request cards in case you need to order some copies for yourself. :D

Nice offer Richard. :) Gracias again.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Here is a scan of page 1 of my battered copy of the original Exar XR8038 datasheet.

There are 8 pages in all

If scanning the whole thing is of interest, I think I will need an Email address to send to as I will need to get large files to achieve acceptable quality.

What do you think of the front page ?

Edit looking at Richard's copy of the Intersil document A012 it looks as though Intersil rearranged it when they bought Exar. Much of the information is the same, there are a couple of scope traces on the original Exar doc.
Email sent. Gracias.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hi Richard

Maybe unusual questions:

How do you do the scanning? It is very good; pages are sitting flat on the bed.

It seems that you have loose pages. Are they? Have you disassembled the whole book?

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Hi Richard

Maybe unusual questions:

How do you do the scanning? It is very good; pages are sitting flat on the bed.

It seems that you have loose pages. Are they? Have you disassembled the whole book?
I have a Brother ink jet printer/scanner model, MFC-290C. It can scan in color or black and white. The scanner has a paper feed but I am not impressed with its operation. This model also has a flat bed for scanning. I used the flat bed for these application notes.

Application note A013 was a single sheet of paper folded in half to give 4 pages. I simply folded it to expose each of the pages for scanning. App. note A012 is an 8-page document held together by staples. It was thin enough that I, again, was able to fold it to scan each page -- I did not remove the staples. It did not fold exactly square so the scans are a bit crooked.

I scanned in black and white mode at 600 DPI. I have an old version of Adobe Acrobat that will import scans directly from my scanner and store them as PDF's.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hola Richard,

Could you see if this multilegged chip shows up in any of your Raytheon catalogs?

B1413S0CN

Just to satisfy curiosity of somebody else. Gracias.

Edit:

Metal can - 12 legs

/Edit

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Hola Richard,

Could you see if this multilegged chip shows up in any of your Raytheon catalogs?

B1413S0CN

Just to satisfy curiosity of somebody else. Gracias.

Edit:

Metal can - 12 legs

/Edit
I just noticed your request.

For starters, I am guessing that the part was made in the 34th week of 1980. That puts it into the time range for my old data books. :)

I don't know many Raytheon part number prefixes but the "B" may indicate a customer's house marking. However, the "1413" number does sound like a real part number and the CN suffix sounds like a real package type.

Do you know what product uses the part and where the part is used in the circuit? Analog, digital, power ...

In the mean time, I will look in my data books and get back to you.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
atferrari:
This is what I looked for: Raytheon part number B1413S0CN with a date code of 8034 in a Metal can with 12 legs.

I looked in these Ratheon data books:
Total Linears 1974
Linear Integrated Circuits 1989
Product Selection Guide 1989 1989

I also looked in a 1984 IC Master.

I did not find any information on your part. :(

Raytheon was a "me too" company at the time your part was made; mostly making second sources for other companies products. The also made parts for the US military.

I am guessing the metal package is the TO-8, which is about 0.6" (15mm) in diameter. This is larger than a TO-5. As an example, the LH0033 is available in the TO-8 package. (See the attached data sheet.) The LH0033 is a hybrid device so I wonder if this part is as well.

If you get more information, I would be glad to do some more looking.

Attachments

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Oh Richard, you have been working hard for what I see. Gracias for that.

The part is actually in a plastic bag probably since when supplied and will be, probably again, never used. A hobbyist found it and is trying to know what is it. If we are talking parts for the military we are at a dead end.

I recall being given many years ago two or three bags with pairs of diodes with strange marking. They came from the PAM (US "plan de ayuda militar", as per what I learnt later) and were impossible to identify as well.

I still have some opamps in that metal can, LM10 IIRC.

BTW, that LH0033, what a nice buffer it would be for a function generator. If not all, I understand that most have been discontinued. Weren't they useful components?

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Oh Richard, you have been working hard for what I see. Gracias for that.

The part is actually in a plastic bag probably since when supplied and will be, probably again, never used. A hobbyist found it and is trying to know what is it. If we are talking parts for the military we are at a dead end.

I recall being given many years ago two or three bags with pairs of diodes with strange marking. They came from the PAM (US "plan de ayuda militar", as per what I learnt later) and were impossible to identify as well.

I still have some opamps in that metal can, LM10 IIRC.

BTW, that LH0033, what a nice buffer it would be for a function generator. If not all, I understand that most have been discontinued. Weren't they useful components?
I like opening up parts that I can't identify. I don't plan on using them -- just want to see what is inside. I have opened up LH0032's and LH0033's. Lots of parts on a ceramic substrate with film resistors printed on it. I may try to find one that is open and take a picture...

One way of opening a metal can is to file off the top! The lid will get thin around the edges. When it gets real thin and starts to break through, use a sharp knife or scribe to pop the lid off. If this is done carefully, the part is not damaged. (It will, however, be light sensitive).

Wow. The LM10 is an amazing design. An amplifier made with silicon devices that can work with a power supply as little as 1.1 volts. It was done by Bob Widlar.

From Wikipedia:
Already a "legendary chip designer"[9] at the age of 33, Widlar voluntarily retired into a hideout in Mexico and became "the Valley's most celebrated dropout."[9] Four years later he returned to National Semiconductor as a consultant and produced a series of advanced linear ICs, including the first ultra-low-voltage operational amplifier (LM10).[10]

I used an LH0033 in a 10 MHz function generator back in the 90's. In fact, I still use that generator to this day. :) The LH0033 buffers the timing capacitor and an LH0032 is the 50 ohm output amp. I got the parts surplus or I could not have afforded to use them.

I first used the LH0032 and LH0033 in the 1970's. Incredible parts but also incredibly expensive -- They were a good chunk of $100 US dollars each when the dollar was not inflated like it is now. They have gotten "long in tooth" (outdated) over the years. Some present day parts are much better and a lot cheaper.