My old data book collection

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
It is a serializer/deserializer. It's used in some obsolete equipment I have for remote communications. It's used in both the transmitters and recievers. After staring at enough wave forms to make my head hurt I finally realized it is using alternate mark inversion.
No joy. I didn't even find a data book with any similar part numbers. :(

Hi, I have a bit of a challenge for you.

Challenge # 1
This is a 24 pin wide body DIP it is marked as follows
H
BTT 8214

I have zero idea who made it or what it's function is - someone mentioned that the nomenclature 'H' refers to sharp but i have zero idea if that is correct or not.

Challenge # 2
Again no idea of manufacturer other than a suggestion on the tube which is made of metal and has NEC embossed into it.
(N) <- note this is meant to be an N in a circle then on the right hand side it says 424M and underneath.
RH-1X0028PAZZ
Again they are 24 pin wide body DIP.

Again I have zero idea of it's function.

I would have known what they were for when I brought them but I have been through 8 moves in 10 years after the 40,000 odd Earthquakes at least 8 of which were major ones that we suffered in Christchurch, New Zealand. With all that moving I have lost a lot of stuff including my file of datasheets and I've got 1000's of these damn IC's and no idea what they do.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Both 8214 and 7933 could be data codes. My guess is 7933 is the date code because it's last/on the bottom. Any chance these are standard ICs with house-brands; very common back then to protect designs from reverse-engineering.

ak

Both 8214 and 7933 could be data codes. My guess is 7933 is the date code because it's last/on the bottom. Any chance these are standard ICs with house-brands; very common back then to protect designs from reverse-engineering.

ak
To be honest I have absolutely no idea.

I saw one IC on ebay with the same marking but instead of being along the length of the chip like mine it was across the width of the chip.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
They both sound like memory chips, most likely ROMs which means that they are of not much use.
If you want more help, please post sharp, well focused photos.

They both sound like memory chips, most likely ROMs which means that they are of not much use.
If you want more help, please post sharp, well focused photos.
I will do so in due course, I am wondering actually if they could be static RAM chips as I do have a couple of
Sanyo LC3517BL-15 and
Toshiba TC5516APL's from when I was playing around with Intersils IM6100-1 which is from memory a PDP computer on a chip.Here's the PICs.

20190129_025310.jpg 20190129_025329.jpg

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I am very familiar with DEC PDD-8 and Intersil IM6100.
I would place my bet on those 24-pin chips being ROMs, with pinouts similar to UV-EPROMs.
If you really want to know you can try reading them on a ROM reader.

I am very familiar with DEC PDD-8 and Intersil IM6100.
I would place my bet on those 24-pin chips being ROMs, with pinouts similar to UV-EPROMs.
If you really want to know you can try reading them on a ROM reader.
My comment was mainly throw away in the respect that they are the same size as the static RAM chips that I used I.E 24 Pin wide body dip truth be known for both of these I am completely lost without the datasheets and if they were Roms I can't figure for the life of me why I would by 887 of one and 337 of the other. This is so annoying if it wasn't for those damned earthquakes I'd still know exactly what I had.

I've also got 1000's of what I think were voltage regulators - two types of them both Philips - can't find the datasheets for them either P8923 and P8914 I went to NXP to see if they could help me out and they said probably to old because we have no information... more paperweights.
Oh well, not much I can do I suppose.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The numbers are more likely house numbers, i.e. requested by the OEM on custom chips. That is why I bet they are mask programmed ROM chips. Back in those days, if you wanted 10,000 memory chips made you would give the data file to the chip manufacturer and they would program the chips for you at the factory.

The general public has no access to info on these house parts.

The numbers are more likely house numbers, i.e. requested by the OEM on custom chips. That is why I bet they are mask programmed ROM chips. Back in those days, if you wanted 10,000 memory chips made you would give the data file to the chip manufacturer and they would program the chips for you at the factory.

The general public has no access to info on these house parts.
Well when I find my programmer Ill let you know if i get anything from them.

I've just come across something else which I can't find datasheets for, I know they are from Philips - it says so on the tubes which read.
Philips - Made in Hong Kong.
9336 498 80127
ON962
(50) N451 GC --- and this is the only place in which the tubes differ -- 8914 on one tube 8923 on the other.

I have included the components themselves in the picture.

Also on one of the tubes and I don't know if this is in any way related is written in marker 7808 => 200/u.

The closest I have managed to come up with is a BU508V Which is one letter short of the code.

OH BTW I managed to FINALLY find if anybody wants them the Datasheets for the Krypton Isolation
K²951C
K²952C
after 3 days of searching.

20190131_213446.jpg s-l1600.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I've also got 1000's of what I think were voltage regulators - two types of them both Philips - can't find the datasheets for them either P8923 and P8914 I went to NXP to see if they could help me out and they said probably to old because we have no information... more paperweights.
Oh well, not much I can do I suppose.
Assume a typical pin out and apply a current limited voltage to what you think is the input. Keep changing pin assignments until you get something that makes sense. If no combination makes sense, it probably isn't a voltage regulator.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Entirely possible I wish I could remember I brought 880 of the damned things and without the datasheet they are literally just a paperweight.
That's life.

I bought a reel and a half of 27C040 in PLCC package on eBay years ago. Turns out they were programmed at the factory. I wrote a program that takes the existing programming from an EPROM and generates new data that can be programmed into that device. I use them to test EPROM programmers.

Hi there, another 4194a owner here with the dreaded bridge unbalanced port, did you also have that error? it seems to lead to Q23, the K505, which i have now ordered from China. maybe you can share a little on how (and IF) you fixed the issue, i would really appreciate that. i have about zero Ohms resistance over my L-pot BNC when the device is on, and i know J-fets can be sensitive little souls, seems Q23 is fully open. but there is also U9 there, the op-amp that could play a role. any advice is much appreciated. (and if you need the K505, im sure i can send you some)
I honestly don't remember which error messages appeared, but I think that was at least one of them. I was able to find probably the last non-fake 2SK505 on the planet, and replacing Q23 fixed the problem. Also make sure you check, and if necessary replace, CR9 and CR10. The Chinese ones may or may not work. If they don't, you could try substituting a U309, J310, J304, or 2N5486. No idea if they'd work, but they seem to have the closest specs of any current production devices and were my backup plan. Recently, the unit developed a fault on the digital side which I have just started working on. This is a bit off-topic; is there a way to do a PM here?