My New Year Resolution

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
It may not sit well with established engineering staff, but it's just a reality they have to get used to. Firms are finding that temporially staffing for short-cycle projects, or for short term special talent is both an effective way to get production up and effectively use thier development dollars. Of course, IP is one of the drivers. There are a number of ways firms can buy and use it to thier advantage.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The idea of contractors hopping between companies would certainly not sit well with the established engineering staff at all.
I'm sure it wouldn't. It would be in their best interest to form their own company and contract with their former boss, especially if they see more and more work being farmed out.

It's nothing today to see employees with the needed talent to move from job to job, especially if they've been vetted with the proper security credentials. Look inside the beltway at the beltway bandits. In the late 80's I've seen two people in an 8A company, subcontract out to do the labor in a project. As an 8A company, they won the government contract, with zero experience in the final objective.

Brownout, congratulations on your completion and I hope you obtain as much work as you want to handle.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small...ndent-Contractor-(Self-Employed)-or-Employee? is the webpage for you to decide if you were a contractor or employee.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I'm sure it wouldn't. It would be in their best interest to form their own company and contract with their former boss, especially if they see more and more work being farmed out.
I have, literally, only weeks of experience as a contractor. In that short time, I've been very well received by the engineering staff. I think they are happy I'm there to take some of their load. They seem eager to help, and understand it's to their advantage to do so :)

Brownout, congratulations on your completion and I hope you obtain as much work as you want to handle.
Thanks Joe. I really appreciate that.