My hydrogen generator

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
What you have there is a device with no partitions between positive and negative poles.

You would be generating 'detonating gas', as it was called many years ago. Be careful with this mixture of gases. Even a static electric spark from your body would be dangerous around them.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Oh, I do google. Would you care for a recommendation on a good book?

Yes Brown's gas is one, and detonating gas is another. We are both correct. :)

The attached pdf is the first page of the table of contents, brown's gas is not mentioned in this 1890's something text. Detonating gas is covered, and some of the devices used as bombs are described as well. It is available as a free pdf download from www.books.google.com, and is worth the read if this subject interests you.

Victor Englehardt - The electrolysis of water.

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thing I thought was interesting was it can be pressurized safely. It is a specific range of pressures in the bottle where it becomes dangerous, this being found out the hard way.

And it is used industrially, as I said, which means it can be handled safely. Much like other pyrotechnic substances, such as gun powder and other explosives.

When I ran into the concept of HHO I was on another forum, and a bit incredulous. Research yielded the Brown's Gas info (which is still used today), and I came away thinking scam concerning HHO. I've never had any reason to change my mind, which is one of the reasons I supported BeenThere's decision to remove HHO from this site.

As a kid I definitely wanted to do these experiments, I just never found the right electrolyte. So while HHO is banned, electrolysis is not.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Thing I thought was interesting was it can be pressurized safely. It is a specific range of pressures in the bottle where it becomes dangerous, this being found out the hard way...
As a kid I definitely wanted to do these experiments, I just never found the right electrolyte. So while HHO is banned, electrolysis is not.
I think it is very universal for young males to want to make something, anything, go BOOM, at some point in their young life. Girls, not so much, but boys seem to gravitate to it. :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Actually, I was not after the boom, but the lift. I was into models, having a ready source of hydrogen would have been uber cool.

Having said that, I guarantee a balloon would have been popped with a glowing ember at some point.