Hydrogen Fusion

ben sorenson

Joined Feb 28, 2022
Im probably confused and am getting this all backwards but Is it necessary to have 2 different isotopes of hydrogen for hydrogen fusion to occur? Water has 2 hydrogen atoms..wouldn't that be sufficient? Reading on how scientists attempt it now they use Deuterium-Tritium what's the difference between those elements and the elements that are in H20?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What is the end product of hydrogen fusion?

How many protons and how many neutrons does it have?

Where does everything come from if you just fuse two "normal" hydrogen atoms?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Deuterium-Tritium what's the difference between those elements and the elements that are in H20?
Common hydrogen has just one proton in its nucleus, whereas deuterium has 1proton and 1 neutron, while tritium has 1 proton and two neutrons.

The reason deuterium and tritium are used in most present experiments to generate fusion on earth is that they fuse much easier (at a lower temperature), than normal hydrogen.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I think, but am not sure that a nucleus with 2 protons and no neutrons would be unstable, hence the heavier isotopes. The naturally occurring He nucleus has 2 protons and 2 neutrons.

Bob

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
Im probably confused and am getting this all backwards but Is it necessary to have 2 different isotopes of hydrogen for hydrogen fusion to occur? Water has 2 hydrogen atoms..wouldn't that be sufficient? Reading on how scientists attempt it now they use Deuterium-Tritium what's the difference between those elements and the elements that are in H20?
The use of isotopes isn't necessary, but it is preferable. Fusion of neutron-free hydrogen (as occurs in our own sun) yields a much weaker reaction than deuterium with tritium.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I think, but am not sure that a nucleus with 2 protons and no neutrons would be unstable, hence the heavier isotopes. The naturally occurring He nucleus has 2 protons and 2 neutrons.

Bob
Indeed, Helium-2 or a diproton is unstable with a half-life of less than 1 nanosecond.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Ah, but it probably decays to deuterium, right?
Not very likely, there are two decay modes for 2-Helium (2 protons and no neutrons)
  1. Proton emission leaving two 1-Hydrogen atoms >99.99%
  2. β+ decay or the emission of a positron yielding a 2-Hydrogen(Deuterium) consisting of a proton and a neutron <0.01%

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
The use of isotopes isn't necessary, but it is preferable. Fusion of neutron-free hydrogen (as occurs in our own sun) yields a much weaker reaction than deuterium with tritium.
Amazing fact: the Sun's fusion only produces around 100 W/m^3. About the same power as an incandescent light bulb (per m^3).

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I suspect without knowing we will need deuterium hydrogen isotopes to fuse. The sun does fusion by virtue of sheer power where isotopes don't matter. Since we don't have gravity control we are going to have to make due by i using slightly unstable isotopes. Just my 2¢.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
An interesting alternate reaction is boron-hydrogen fusion, which a number of fusion experimenters are working towards.
It is aneutronic (generates few dangerous neutrons unlike the deuterium-tritium reaction), with the primary fusion product being fast moving charged alpha particles (ionized helium).
The moving electric field from this can, in principle, be converted directly to electricity, instead of heating water to generate steam and run a turbo-generator as the deuterium-tritium reaction requires.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
So if two protons fuse then immediately go back to two protons, no net energy is produced. Which means only the 0.01% that decay to deuterium nuclei produce any output. No wonder we need to use heavy hydrogen isotopes.