my girlfriend vs AAC

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
My gf complains that I spend too much time on AAC and she Hates that!
She asked me to choose between AAC and her!?:(

Do your wives or girlfriends also complain about your time on AAC?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
YES. I've got it down to a science. I read her body language. She won't say anything when I've crossed the (imaginary, invisible, unspoken, perpetually changing) line into "spending too much time on the computer" so I have to watch her out of the corner of my eye. The longer I spend on the other side of the imaginary line, the harder it is to recover. Why she won't just SAY when she wants attention, I don't know...because she's a woman.

Anyways, it was nice knowing you. Farewell.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
That is a tough decision, but if you really care about her, it shouldn't be that tough. You should try to work out an agreement with her--a compromise--that gives you both what you want. Work out a compromise like, "no more than one hour per day on AAC". That way, she still gets her attention and you still get your forum fix :D

Good luck, my friend.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Do you live together? If yes, then things are hard. I find that women that aren't involved with computers often antagonize them in terms of time dedication. On the other side, in my EE university, I know a lot of girls that spend as much time on a PC as their boyfriends and have no problem consequently. It's a blind fear, powered from lack of knowledge, if you ask me.

But EE girls aren't nearly as hot as the rest, sadly. Meh, nothing is perfect.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Do you like asking for anything?
I know what you are saying, but there is a long known tendency for women expect men to "read their minds" which is what I'm referring to. I don't make her ask when I already know what she wants. If she was spending too much time on something, yes I think I would say something before I let it eat my at brain and send me into a bad mood. because I'm not a woman.
That is a tough decision, but if you really care about her, it shouldn't be that tough. You should try to work out an agreement with her--a compromise--that gives you both what you want. Work out a compromise like, "no more than one hour per day on AAC". That way, she still gets her attention and you still get your forum fix :D

Good luck, my friend.
That seems logical enough, which is exactly why it would never work.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yes, that is a very difficult call. Neither of you will ever change, nor do you hope to change the other. I don't think it should be an ultimatum - one versus the other. You both have needs that must be satisfied. If you cannot resolve it at an early stage you are in for a life of misery if the two of you ever get married. The only solution I have to offer is try to understand each other's needs or find someone who is more understanding.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Choose A.C.C. if it mattered you would not be making a post like this.

Both of you are waiting for our dumb remarks,you can't be serious.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I know what you are saying, but there is a long known tendency for women expect men to "read their minds" which is what I'm referring to. I don't make her ask when I already know what she wants. If she was spending too much time on something, yes I think I would say something before I let it eat my at brain and send me into a bad mood. because I'm not a woman.
Since you now what she wants, do not participate in the mindgame ;) and do not give up on the compromise suggestion before trying. But yes, good luck.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I want to agree with you, loosie. I tend to be very disapproving at times, letting people face the reality on their own. But isn't the fact that he is asking for help a sign of fighting spirit?

Maybe not, who am I kidding?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
and do not give up on the compromise suggestion before trying.
Oh trust me, been there, done that. When I suggested it, she took it almost as an insult. I think I've figured out how to describe this; Eric, listen up.
When a woman says this to you, she does not necessarily want you to spend less time on the PC and more time with her; what she wants is for you to want to spend less time on the PC and more time with her. key: you to want. If that's not what you want, then its a no-win. That's why the compromise will not work; it doesn't show her that you want to spend less time on the PC and more time with her, it shows her that you want her to shut up and quit griping about the damn computer. It's like giving someone a keyring full of keys but no car for their 16th birthday. totally inadequate. Realize now the problem won't go away. If you are interested in a long term relationship, then figure out where the line is and don't cross it. If not, then don't.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
well then it sounds like someone has to choose. If you can't give up AAC, then it is up to the girlfriend to take you+AAC or not.

Next question, is AAC addictive and should councelling be offered? :D

"To be happy with a man you must understand him a lot and love him a little. To be happy with a woman you must love her a lot and not try to understand her at all."

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Read his post on cats and dog's,big clue. Also all posters are glued to this post

except the poster.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
If it may be of some help, I told my wife something along the lines of this (can't remember exactly how I worded it):
Nothing and nobody makes me as happy as you do, but man cannot survive on bread alone. Nobody I come across in my daily life shares common interests with me. A man should be able to hold the occasional conversation with people he can relate to. I don't have any technerd friends to talk to, so I go online and talk to them. It is theraputic for me. If you want to outright forbid me going online, I will respect your wishes, but I won't be happy.