My Dalek's dome

nicktruman

Joined Feb 4, 2019
Hi everyone,
I have made a Dalek, full size using the BBC prop plans. Not sure why I wanted one, but I always have..
I want to make the dome turn to point at a sound source, I have seen little toys that walk towards a sound source, so I guess is must be possible.
Can anyone help me with this mad cap idea?

Attachments

Jerry-Hat-Trick

Joined Aug 31, 2022
Brilliant! It needs ears. I suggest four, not just two. Humans need to turn their head slightly to assess the direction of sound - in front or behind - most animals can pivot their ears instead.

Maybe four of these https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/detail/cui-devices/CMEJ-0605-36-L030/10253458 set equispaced around the dome, glued onto foam rubber so they don't hear the noise through the dalek and maybe experiment with small flaps either side of each to make them point to a narrower angle. Amplify and A/D the sound level, sampled rapidly with a processor and averaged/filtered in the processor which could also used to drive a stepper motor to rotate and point the dome towards the mike with the greatest sound - aiming to have the mikes either side to be hearing a similar volume whilst the central mike is loudest and the one behind is least.

Attachments

nicktruman

Joined Feb 4, 2019
Brilliant! It needs ears. I suggest four, not just two. Humans need to turn their head slightly to assess the direction of sound - in front or behind - most animals can pivot their ears instead.

Maybe four of these https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/detail/cui-devices/CMEJ-0605-36-L030/10253458 set equispaced around the dome, glued onto foam rubber so they don't hear the noise through the dalek and maybe experiment with small flaps either side of each to make them point to a narrower angle. Amplify and A/D the sound level, sampled rapidly with a processor and averaged/filtered in the processor which could also used to drive a stepper motor to rotate and point the dome towards the mike with the greatest sound - aiming to have the mikes either side to be hearing a similar volume whilst the central mike is loudest and the one behind is least.
Hi Jerry
Thank you, I saw a project on instructables https://www.instructables.com/SOUND-RESPONDING-ROBOT/ and was wondering how I might tailor this to suit. I was going to use a linear actuator and allow the dome to turn 1/4 of a turn each way.
I like a challenge!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
With a pair of sound sensors and an Arduino you can use the difference between then to position a servo, as in this project. It is using sensors from Phidget, which is a Canadian company that makes USB connected sensor of various kinds but the idea in the code is easily transferred to another sensor, or actuator.

I would start simple, with a scale model prototype—so a hobby servo and a pair of cheap sensor modules and learn about the limitations, then scale up.

nicktruman

Joined Feb 4, 2019
With a pair of sound sensors and an Arduino you can use the difference between then to position a servo, as in this project. It is using sensors from Phidget, which is a Canadian company that makes USB connected sensor of various kinds but the idea in the code is easily transferred to another sensor, or actuator.

I would start simple, with a scale model prototype—so a hobby servo and a pair of cheap sensor modules and learn about the limitations, then scale up.
This sounds perfect. I am very good a following instructions :) can you share what i need and how please?

nicktruman

Joined Feb 4, 2019
Unfortunately, I don’t have a how-to written about doing this.

Do you know anything about the Arduino platform?
I have spent the morning on the Arduino website, there are a few different variants , so need to make sure I get the right type!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I have spent the morning on the Arduino website, there are a few different variants , so need to make sure I get the right type!
I have a suggestion that might not be an idea you are particularly fond of, but it will probably save you a lot of heartache.

Before you try to build this project, start but going through a general Arduino tutorial. You don’t have to buy an Arduino-made board, but since Arduino is the reason for all the open source hardware that the cheaper clones use, I feel it is a nice idea to get at least your first board from them to contribute to the effort.

As far as which one, I would start with the Uno (or clone). It is the default for Arduino projects and readily available. When you have some idea why you’d want something different, you will know that is the case.

There are so many tutorials on using the Arduino ecosystem you will have no problem finding something. It might be best to by an Arduino starter kit which includes some additional hardware like sensors. The official kit is pretty pricey, but as I said it is a contribution to the effort.

If that’s too salty, much less expensive alternatives do exist. The hardware will be fine and it will do the job.

Spend the time to learn the foundational bits and you will do much better. Once you have an MCU (MicroController Unit) in your Dalek, the possibilities are endless. Particularly if you choose something with WiFi connectivity which would let you control it remotely.

There is a lot of help here to get started with your learning. An investment up front will bring great dividends.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
As a preview of what you might want to do, this MP3 player module can play back files under Arduino control, and it is designed to allow arbitrary sequences to be spliced together. It also has a clever thing where when plugged in via USB it shows up as a drive, and you just copy files over to it from the computer. Very easy…

EXTERMINATE… EXTERMINATE…

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
For reference, the cheapest way in to your sound tracker as far as sound sensors go is probably the KY-038 which is available from many sources. The important thing is the four pins. There are versions with just three, but the fourth pin is analog out, and you need to get relative levels not just a go-no go signal.

The module can produce a digital indication of the presence of sound above a certain threshold. Combined with the analog level information, this will let you do the differential method to aim the Dalek while ignoring ambient sounds.

nicktruman

Joined Feb 4, 2019
For reference, the cheapest way in to your sound tracker as far as sound sensors go is probably the KY-038 which is available from many sources. The important thing is the four pins. There are versions with just three, but the fourth pin is analog out, and you need to get relative levels not just a go-no go signal.

The module can produce a digital indication of the presence of sound above a certain threshold. Combined with the analog level information, this will let you do the differential method to aim the Dalek while ignoring ambient sounds.
Hi Ya’akov
If I get this kit, will it allow me to do what i need? (after I have learnt how to use it!) https://www.amazon.co.uk/sspa/click...18-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9idGY&psc=1

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Hello, Nick.

Quick question. Do you have any programming skills? Are you familiar with C, or some other low level language?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That seems to be unavailable, but this looks good. Though it doesn’t specify, some research revealed it is an ATMega 328p processor (this is good) as well as pin and dimension compatible with the Aduino UNO R3 (this is also good).

The kit does include a hobby servo, so you are set there. You will need either KY-038 (preferred) or KY-037 (OK) to detect the sound when you are building the prototype with the servo. Otherwise, you are all set.

Arduino is a lot of fun, enjoy it. Any questions just ask here and you‘ll get more help than you know what to do with.

[EDIT: left out link]

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Here is another approach.
Does it have to follow sound? Following a light source would be easier.
You can start with a light source and gain experience then you can add sound after that.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Raspberry Pi and Arduino are two distinct things. The board in that kit is 100% Arduino compatible both with the hardware (Arduino UNO R3) and software (Arduino IDE). “Arduino“ is a very nebulous term at this point because it refers to am organization, it’s hardware, it’s software, and the entire ecosystem that works with the Arduino IDE, some of which is completely unlike the Arudino hardware.

This board, though, will use all the libraries and plug-in hardware that the Arduino-made UNO R3 does.

RPi is a different world, and to confuse matters, the Raspberry Pi RP2040 MCU based boards are now compatible with the Arduino IDE, but that’s not the same as a Raspberry Pi 3 or 4 SBC (Single Board Computer).

You don’t have to worry about buying that kit for your purposes, though.