My computer is moving super slow (how to make it move fast )

Kadav

Joined May 11, 2018
Hello i have a computer that is moving super slow
- let me set the pre-notion it has fallen down quite a number of times ...
- here is the basic information about my computer 1596535773034.png
- if there are other info that i could give you i will be glad to do it
- i checked with task manager to delete some services and apps that may be running in the back ground but i don't know how to see the ones that are microsoft approved and that should actually run on the computer.

-i have some apps that also are probably the reason as to why it slows down ..

It's slow when i am switching it on ( loading ) and when i am using it as well

My suggestion
- my first suggestion was to reinstall windows 10 by using a flash disk and install a new windows 10
- my second suggestion is to buy a RAM
After that i don't know what else i can do but if you can suggest me somethings i am fine , i can do them ..

( i am not a newbie in computer but i don't know advanced techniques and tricks either ) but if you tell me i will not have hard time getting what you are saying

Thanks very Much

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
Step #1: Download Rufus.
Step #2: Find a decent Linux distro, like Linux Mint.
Step #3: Open Rufus and copy said Linux ISO to a blank USB stick.
Step #4: Reboot, then enter the boot menu (pressing F12 or ESC usually works).
Step #5: Install Linux.
Step #6: Enjoy!

Kadav

Joined May 11, 2018
Step #1: Download Rufus.
Step #2: Find a decent Linux distro, like Linux Mint.
Step #3: Open Rufus and copy said Linux ISO to a blank USB stick.
Step #4: Reboot, then enter the boot menu (pressing F12 or ESC usually works).
Step #5: Install Linux.
Step #6: Enjoy!
@xox so that would mean litteraly stop using windows?

I am worried about different applications that work with windows ? How about them .. or most of them work with LINUX as well
I am not familliar with linux but for the challenge i would love to use it as well

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
@xox so that would mean litteraly stop using windows?

I am worried about different applications that work with windows ? How about them .. or most of them work with LINUX as well
I am not familliar with linux but for the challenge i would love to use it as well
That's a valid concern, but most likely there will be something out there that works just as well. LibreOffice, for example, can open most MS-Office products.

Another option is to partition your disk FIRST and then install them "side-by-side". That way you can switch from Windows to Linux depending on your needs.

Kadav

Joined May 11, 2018
That's a valid concern, but most likely there will be something out there that works just as well. LibreOffice, for example, can open most MS-Office products.

Another option is to partition your disk FIRST and then install them "side-by-side". That way you can switch from Windows to Linux depending on your needs.
Yes but how about m computer's RAM and processor ?

Kadav

Joined May 11, 2018
hi K,
Have you run Task Manager in your Win 10.?
It should give a clue to why its running slow.
Search: Task Manager

E
Hello

what should i be looking in task manager , i know how to run it but what information should i be looking for ?
1596540391560.png
here is my task manager.

I have a big problem with it Loading slow ( it takes a good 5 minutes to load from the password menu to the home page)

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Scroll down that Window, you can see Opera is using 3.5%, Synaptics 3.6, check for any heavy users..
On your image you can see other options,'Performance, Startup ... etc..
Check out those other features showing what maybe eating up your CPU and RAM.

E

Last edited:

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I got a "refurb" computer at a very low price on last Black Friday from Best Buy online. It is fairly new, came with licenced Windows 10 Pro, lots of RAM and an extremely fast solid-state hard drive. It boots in about 5 seconds.

Last edited:

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
A celleron N3050 with 4 G of ram is never going to be fast,
but it should be quiet happy doing office tasks such as word,

What do you mean by its being slow ?
what programs are you using that you think are slow ?
have you run the windows update, are all the updates installed ?

There are all sorts of tools you can run, and all sorts of tweaks, but unless you have a major problem , then its not gogin to make that much difference.

The windows solution's, and the cheapest, is to re install windows, you will then install the programs you need, and see how the speed changes.

settings -> update and security -> recovery -> reset this PC

personally, assuming you have your data backed up , I'd do a remove everything,

then re build from base up,.

Im betting the machine is just not up to your expectations, even in its basic / fastest option.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
It could be none of the things you have mentioned. My HD was going bad and it made my computer very slow and unstable.
If you've added mixed matched RAM this can also cause problems. If it's a HD opening too many programs causes the HD to work hard. Kinda like a HD with Alzheimer's.

And yes your Win 10 is not activated.......it says so at the bottom. I thought Win 10 automatically activated when installed because it's free.
Brzrkr

ZCochran98

Joined Jul 24, 2018
It could be none of the things you have mentioned. My HD was going bad and it made my computer very slow and unstable.
If you've added mixed matched RAM this can also cause problems. If it's a HD opening too many programs causes the HD to work hard. Kinda like a HD with Alzheimer's.
I had this issue earlier this year. A HDD in my laptop was starting to go bad (you can check for signs of this by running a chkdsk command in the command line, or probably other ways as well), and it began running slower than ever - including taking 5 or more minutes to go from password to desktop. Replacing the hard drive with a new drive (I used a solid-state drive - Samsung EVO 860) vastly improved performance (and even got Windows 10 startup from completely powered off to active on my desktop under 10 seconds). Considering you said that the laptop has fallen down a number of times, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this were an issue, and would remain an issue even if you switched to Linux (while Linux is, indeed, faster than Windows usually, it's also not always the best solution to computer issues).

Since you've only got 4GB of RAM, I don't imagine mismatched RAM is probably your issue (only one stick, usually, for low values like that), though 4GB of RAM really isn't enough to run 64-bit Windows 10 anyway, as others have mentioned. Nor is a 1.6GHz processor, really (that Celeron processor was first manufactured in 2015, and stopped production in 2018, and was considered one of Intel's "low-end" mobile processor even then).

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Along the years owning different PCs with different versions of Windows, recurrent causes of severe hogging or "freezing" were:

invasive antivirus, checking EVERYTHING all the time (the one by Microsoft, the worst)

some software keeping open a (hiden) option of the "yes" "no" or "yes" "cancel" type, that I could not see.

the service verifying continuously if there were updates available.

Is it always slow for you or it is just starting to get slow? If the answer is the first one, you can buy SSD drive and upgrade your ram to min 8GB. For the second situation check the processes running on the background. Scan and clean malware. Or just format the pc.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
A 1.6GHz Celeron with 4GB of memory will never be considered a "fast" computer, but it's fine for word processing and browsing. What is it that you think is "slow".

You buy a refurbished computer with much better specs for $200-300.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
As everyone has already said:

1) 1.6GHz is old, time for upgrade
2) Upgrade to 8GB memory
3) Remove malware
4) Replace your hard drive, reload the OS