Muscle Cars.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The family didn't own a GT500 but we did have a Dr. Olds 442. The brute power of older cars was and is just so much fun.

That's my mom on the hood of the car at the farm.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I was a street drag racer in the 60's and never saw a Mustang win a race. Anything over 5 seconds 0 to 60 lost against the 65 GTO. Of course, in those days, the blocks were cast iron and the bodies were steel.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I put a blower on my '62 Falcon. Not a real performer, but it sounded great. Made a wooden model for the mount, then got it cast in aluminum locally in LA. A buddy and I got into a local university machine shop one night (legally) and got it dressed up to fit. Fun times.

John

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I put a blower on my '62 Falcon. Not a real performer, but it sounded great. Made a wooden model for the mount, then got it cast in aluminum locally in LA. A buddy and I got into a local university machine shop one night (legally) and got it dressed up to fit. Fun times.

John
Fun times and good memories.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I loved (and hated) my '67 Barracuda. It could screech the tires in all 4 gears. It had just a 273 in it, but the engine was tuned for performance. I once had it overhauled and was surprised to see that its valves were twice the size of 350 Camaro V8 that was also in the shop.

Before I painted it Porsche red, it was Plymouth green. It was a total sleeper appearance-wise but I never lost a challenge from a stoplight. Once it was gorgeous red, I never got a challenge again.

The hate part was all about creature comforts. There were none.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I was in a 1969 Chevy Nova, 396, 375 horse, (before I tuned it :cool:).
A Shelby 500 left me at the light like it was my momma's car.
Does a Shelby qualify as a Mustang?
I had a '65 SS396 that was fast top end, but not much off the line; I clearly remember the day I bought it brand new for $3,000 otd. It was sitting next to a new Stingray that I could have had for $5k. Those were the days.

As to what I drive today, let's just say my next ride will probably be a Hover Round. :(

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
My cousin had a 66 SS. 475 HP. A real lunker........would hardy idle. Very fast.

I drove several of the muscle varieties, but the quickest was a 66 Mercury Comet.

My neighbor ordered it new and said it was a special run.......I have no idea.

Anyhow it had a fiberglass body, a 390 with massive 4 barrel and a special 3 speed auto tranny.

It had air, electric windows and seats, everything we have today 'cept internet.

Had a work friend that bought a 65 goat brand new. A GTO for the UN-familiar.

Fire engine red, 389, 3 deuces. A real beauty.

My favorite was the roadrunner with hemi. Just ready to buy one for $3200, but went on strike and bought VW instead. $1700.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Just ready to buy one for $3200, but went on strike and bought VW instead. $1700.
That didn't happen to be a 1966, VW 1300?

Had one. Not great in a Minnesota Winter. Swallowed an exhaust valve at 70,000. The overhaul in an apartment garage with no equipment is another story. In brief, I lowered the motor onto a pair of roller skates and lifted the rear up (I was much younger), while my wife pulled the motor out.

John

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I lowered the motor onto a pair of roller skates and lifted the rear up
When I had to lift an Aerostar off its engine and transmission I built a 10 foot tall saw horse and used a chain/pulley thing.
A 6x6 bridged under the frame rails, just behind the radiator.
A VW engine only required an engine crane. No problem.:D
I threw the parts of the crane in the rear of my truck, assembled it at the job, and handed the engine to the customer in about 30 minutes.:p

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
No John, I drove old junkers till 69. Long strike.......just kidding.

It had a little larger engine, and the heater was great. Great traction on W.VA. hills(home). It wasn't powerful, but that doesn't mean it wasn't fast.

It had close to 100k when I sold it. Always reliable and fun to drive. Took it cross country several times.

I certainly got my money's worth. Great product.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
...Had a work friend that bought a 65 goat brand new. A GTO for the UN-familiar.

Fire engine red, 389, 3 deuces. A real beauty.
That was the one to beat in a quarter mile when I was racing. With the rear end changed out (4:11?) it would top out at about 98 mph, but it did it quickly.

And it was a good thing that gas was about 25 cents a gallon.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
10-4 on the 25 cents a gallon. And a 6 dollar natural gas bill. Our highest utility bill was the phone bill, and that's only cause it was a private line.

People forget what a good economy is. All teenagers had part time jobs. Pumping gas, bagging groceries, I worked part time in a factory after school. And could afford car payments. If I remember right, my first NEW car payment was a little less than $40 and that included insurance. The biggest problem was talking parents into co-signing for loans and titles.

Can a teenager legally get a job anymore? If there was one. Or is it too risky now for an employer?

I don't see kids workin in stores now, just old geezers like me.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
We got jobs so we could have cars. Now they rationalize that they don't want a car, and so they have no need for a job either. Which is fine, because the minimum wage keeps them locked out of one anyway.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Used to race old Nova's (Chevy II) Lots of different small block configurations. Now I drive a 2010 GMC Crew Cab with the smallest v8 they make (4.6L)..

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
What would the right minimum wage be?
It cannot be both "right" and minimum dictated by fiat at the same time. The right price is one acceptable to the parties on both sides of a transaction.

A high minimum wage ensures that many people trying to enter the job market, can't. With no track record and no experience, first-time workers simply aren't worth the minimum wage.