Multiple Transformers

Kava Canada

Joined Aug 20, 2023
Hi my friends,
I hope all of you are doing well.
Kindly I was wondering why there are multiple transformers in some SMPS.
And can I test the primary and secondary winding if there is a short with the LCR meter model DER EE 5000? and how?
thanks in advance to all of you.
kind regards many transformer .pngDE-5000 Handheld LCR Meter.pngDE-5000 Handheld LCR Meter.png

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
There's usually 1 main one and possibly a small driver , the others will be chokes for mains input smoothing.

Why do you think the capacitor is faulty?

Kava Canada

Joined Aug 20, 2023
There's usually 1 main one and possibly a small driver , the others will be chokes for mains input smoothing.

Why do you think the capacitor is faulty?
no no my friend I'm not asking for the capacitors and the black arrows it was just from the original picture I just took this picture as an example.
I'm just focusing on the transformer and how I test it with LCR meter

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Many switch-mode power supplies have, in addition to the main energy storage inductor, an incoming power filter choke, and at least one filter device. Not everything that looks like a transformer IS a transformer.
I suggest examining the circuits of some actual switcher supplies to learn more.

Kava Canada

Joined Aug 20, 2023
Many switch-mode power supplies have, in addition to the main energy storage inductor, an incoming power filter choke, and at least one filter device. Not everything that looks like a transformer IS a transformer.
I suggest examining the circuits of some actual switcher supplies to learn more.
thanks sir