Multiple mosquitto MQTT broker system on a single network

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
Hey. I am building a pick to light system to for warehouse packing. I use esp32 remote devices connected to each box that has items inside. The whole operation is being controller by a raspberry PI . The raspberry PI has mosquitto broker installed and acts as a server. It is sending various commands to remote esp32 devices about the current operation (which box to activate and etc). The system prototype is now fully functioning and works as expected. I have one question though:

Am I able to have multiple mqtt brokers on a same network? Since one raspberry PI controls one operation at a time and I need multiple people to work. The idea is to have multiple raspberry PI mqtt brokers and each raspberry PI would control its own operation. If 3 people are working, I would need 3 seperate work stations (raspberry PI, table, monitor and etc..) though my main concern whether its ok to have multiple mosquitto mqtt brokers

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I'm not sure about your mqtt question, but assuming you cannot have multiples on the same network, maybe they can be separated using VLANs? Disclaimer; I'm not at all knowledgeable about what you're working with. :)

jeastburn

Joined Sep 4, 2020
I don't see a problem with that. Your devices will only connect to the broker they are configured for and the broker will only direct traffic between its own clients. You could also just have one broker for the whole network and simply structure your topic path hierarchically with a separate branch for each work cell. Each Raspberry Pi would become a subscriber, instead, and watch the appropriate branch of the topic path.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi, I am interested in a similar project.
Did you advance anything on that subject ?

Thanks & Regards,
This is trivial. The TS didn't take into account that MQTT pub/sub requires a host to be configured and so you can have as many brokers as you want since you are only going to talk to the one you intend for any particular transaction.

You may want to look into MQTT-SN which is designed for low power sensor networks and has distributed features.

jmbinette

Joined Mar 17, 2021
Thanks,

I was talking more specifically about the "pick to light" project.
I would be interested in seeing the architecture/code of this kind of application.