Multiple LEDs each controlled by a button

hbim

Joined Feb 28, 2018
Hello- I think this is likely a pretty simple build to put together, but I have zero experience when it comes to electronics/electrical type projects and would appreciate any help or advice.

I am trying to figure out what it would take to have approximately 50 LEDs each be individually controlled by an on/off push button or flip switch. The LEDs need to be pretty bright, so I'm thinking about using something similar to these:
http://www.usledsupply.com/shop/smd-cw-c-3528-mini-led-modules.html

I'm hoping that the lights will all light up at the same brightness, and they won't dim the more that are turned on.

Based on my searching, it sounds like this would also likely be able to be done somehow with an Audrino board or something along those lines, but I think for my purposes where kids may be playing with this, it'll be easier if it's just done the old fashioned way with a switch for each LED.

I'm guessing that if I can get down what it takes for controlling one or two LEDs I can just keep duplicating it over and over, and just make sure I have a power supply large enough to handle them.

Any help or suggestions on how I could wire something like this would be greatly appreciate. Thank you!

hbim

Joined Feb 28, 2018
Thanks for the reply. Those LEDs you listed won't be bright enough unfortunately. I'll need something that will be bright enough to illuminate the inside of a box that's approx 8" square with frosted plexiglas on top.

I checked out the link you and included, and it looks like that is a single switch that will turn all of the LEDs on or off. To control each LED would it work to just add the switch in on each horizontal wire as shown in that picture? If so, where on the line do I put it? Left of the resistor? To the right of the LED?

Thanks.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
LEDs in question:
file_4_57_1.jpg
Specs:
upload_2018-3-1_9-26-23.png

No current limiting resistors required. Just insert switches in series with the 12V supply.

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
Those LEDs are too bright to look at for very long.

Those switches latch. Push on, push off.

Put the resistor between the switch and LED.
LED wiring.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
To control each LED would it work to just add the switch in on each horizontal wire as shown in that picture? If so, where on the line do I put it?
Each one of the boards appears to consist of two LEDs and a current limiting resistor. You just cut the wires to make strings of LEDs that you want to control together and wire a switch.
upload_2018-3-1_9-43-25.png
All of the LEDs you leave connected are wired in parallel.

Last edited: