Multi colored Dragon fly and other multi colored garden lights

garybuska

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Lately I was trying to figure out the pin assignment on those 4 pin chips that are found inside of these devices.
I have discovered that there are two different kinds. The Dragon fly that I finally managed to recreate uses only 1 1.2 volt rechargeable battery. But not all for pin chips are the same. As I managed to recreate another circuit using a different chip it takes 2 1.2 volt batteries to make it work. The only other difference seems to be the Choke that is used.
The biggest problem here id how to tell which chip uses 1 battery and which uses 2.
One chip was the AN2816 i think, the other is a YX8018.
The schematic I had showed a battery but did not state what it was. I recreated the circuit using 1 battery and nothing happened. I was about to give up thinking the chip I had was no good. When I noticed the voltage missing it got me thinking. I have one of those multicolored globes and it uses 2 1.2 volt batteries. So I figured I would give it a try and it works like a champ.
The fact that you can not find a data sheet on these devices makes it a little harder.
Moral of all of this is these little 4 legged chips are impossible to tell apart.
So if you recreate a circuit using 1 battery and nothing happens try using 2. Remember to wire them in series.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I am not familiar with either of those devices, though I did find the YX8018 on the first page of a Google search (and I was not impressed with it).

I do have some lights with a QX525 chip and those have a minimal set of parts (like no cap and no CDS) (the solar cell to detects night). You can find those on EBay, and the data sheet is out there too.

garybuska

Joined Aug 12, 2014
I am not familiar with either of those devices, though I did find the YX8018 on the first page of a Google search (and I was not impressed with it).

I do have some lights with a QX525 chip and those have a minimal set of parts (like no cap and no CDS) (the solar cell to detects night). You can find those on EBay, and the data sheet is out there too.
This circuit has 5 parts
a solar cell the YX8018 chip a led a 560 uh choke and a battery which in this case is two 1.2 volt batteries.
Here is yet another link using a different chip a ANA618
http://www.radio-ghe.com/0116.DCWandler.htm
Except for the number on the chip these all look alike