Multi Channel LED Light for Aquarium

Fabian S

Joined Jul 26, 2015
Hi there!

I need some help with a complete design for aquarium lighting.

I've been researching, and i know I can do this with Arduino, but I want to build a complete and specific solution for my project.

I want to do the following:
  1. I will use a multi channel LED, 50 W, 4 channels, 750 - 1000 mA each.
  2. I want to dim each channel separately and timer controlled. I want to dim with PWM, since I learned it's the best for the LED and the color temperature.
  3. A temperature controlled fan, higher the temperature in heatsink, higher the fan.
  4. A LCD to view the time and time setting.
  5. Buttoms to enter the time data and dimmer adjust.
How can I do this? Which IC do You recomend? A microcontroller is a must?

Thanks for your advice!

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Are you asking about how to make it from scratch and not use an arduino?
If so..
At a minimum you need any micro of your choosing like a AVR/PIC with enough PWM outputs... plus a real time clock chip like the DS1307
plus all the other support components, resistors,crystal,capacitors, etc..
Then an LCD of your choosing.. character/tft,etc...

Then just pick the proper LED drivers with a PWM input.. I might recommend meanwell LDD drivers (5V PWM) for multi-channel LED solutions or the meanwell LPF series (10V PWM) depending on the specs of this LED.

Sounds like you want to make these
http://coralux.net/

Note you can find 5 channel LDD driver boards too specifically for driving multi-channel LEDs. The LDD series will also require a regular power supply vs the LPF or similar which include everything in one package.

Fabian S

Joined Jul 26, 2015
Hello mcgyvr, thank You very much for your reply!

Yes, You got the idea, I want to build form scratch. Coralux is a nice example of I want to do, but with the power supply and the LED all-in-one.
About the LDD drivers, I already have it like an option, but each one is $8, so I want to save some money. Can I do it with a 555? Is there an IC that can handle 4 channels in one IC?

About the support components, where can I found more information?

Thanks a lot!

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
If you are going to make your own PCB's then you can easily use one of the tons of other LED driver ICs..
There are hundreds to choose from at all the common IC manufacturers sites.. (TI LM3414hv and hundreds more.. pick one that works best for you)

If I was going to do it I'd use "dedicated" ICs vs cobbling together a 555 or other whats in my parts drawer solution.. But I'd also just buy LDDs and call it a day.
Its only $30 for your 4 channels.. Hard to roll your own for that price unless you are talking about making a bunch of these..

Fabian S

Joined Jul 26, 2015
Thanks again mcgyvr.;)

Yes, I plan to do my own PCB, that's why I don't want to use LDDs. If I use LM3414, I have to use one per each channel right?

Where can I find more information about the power supply, microcontroller, and how to put it all together? Any suggest?

Greetings!!