Mr, I would like to use a 555 timer to alternate two blinking LED's,

stspringer

Joined Oct 1, 2019
Hello,
I am a relative newbie, I would like to use a 555 timer to alternate two blinking LED's, this diagram works for low amp LED's, but I would like to power two 12v - 30w - 2 amp, LED's using the 555 timer and two Mosfets.

How would you add Mosfets to this diagram and have the alternating blink between the two high amp led's. I can only get them to blink at the same time using one N channel mosfet. I am assuming you would need two mosfets, not sure. Thanks for any help

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
You may need a pullup on Q2 on the above circuit because when LEDs are not conducting, they are very high resistance.

It may work as shown, but I would not bet money on it.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
How much is "High-Amp" ?
Do the LEDs have built-in Current-Regulation ?
What is the Voltage and Current-Capacity of your Power-Supply ?, is it reasonably well regulated ?
Do the LEDs have a specific Voltage-Rating, or a wide range of acceptable Voltages ?
Do You want to be able to "Dim" the LEDs ?
Do You want to "Fade" between the LEDs ?, or have a "Hard-Switch" between them ?
What is the range of "Flash-Rates" that You would like ? ( Flashes per Second or Minute )
Does the Flash-Rate need to be adjustable ?
Does the Duty-Cycle need to be exactly 50% ?, does it need to be adjustable ?

stspringer

Joined Oct 1, 2019
How much is "High-Amp" ?
Do the LEDs have built-in Current-Regulation ?
What is the Voltage and Current-Capacity of your Power-Supply ?, is it reasonably well regulated ?
Do the LEDs have a specific Voltage-Rating, or a wide range of acceptable Voltages ?
Do You want to be able to "Dim" the LEDs ?
Do You want to "Fade" between the LEDs ?, or have a "Hard-Switch" between them ?
What is the range of "Flash-Rates" that You would like ? ( Flashes per Second or Minute )
Does the Flash-Rate need to be adjustable ?
Does the Duty-Cycle need to be exactly 50% ?, does it need to be adjustable ?
How much is "High-Amp" ? - 2a to 3a
Do the LEDs have built-in Current-Regulation ? - don't know
What is the Voltage and Current-Capacity of your Power-Supply ?, is it reasonably well regulated ? - 12v wall wart transformer
Do the LEDs have a specific Voltage-Rating, or a wide range of acceptable Voltages ? 12v
Do You want to be able to "Dim" the LEDs ? No
Do You want to "Fade" between the LEDs ?, or have a "Hard-Switch" between them ? No
What is the range of "Flash-Rates" that You would like ? ( Flashes per Second or Minute ) per second
Does the Flash-Rate need to be adjustable ? No
Does the Duty-Cycle need to be exactly 50% ?, does it need to be adjustable ? Don't know

This circuit from sghioto seems to be doing the job, I didn't even use the R1 10k, Please explain what sghioto has in his circuit, why the R1 10k

Thank you for your help

Attachments

stspringer

Joined Oct 1, 2019
What is the Voltage and Current-Capacity of your Power-Supply ?, is it reasonably well regulated ? - 12v wall wart transformer
Do the LEDs have a specific Voltage-Rating, or a wide range of acceptable Voltages ? 12v
Do You want to "Fade" between the LEDs ?, or have a "Hard-Switch" between them ? No
What is the range of "Flash-Rates" that You would like ? ( Flashes per Second or Minute ) per second
Does the Duty-Cycle need to be exactly 50% ?, does it need to be adjustable ? Don't know

This circuit from sghioto seems to be doing the job, I didn't even use the R1 10k, Please explain what sghioto has in his circuit, why the R1 10k

Thank you for your help
Spoke too soon the mosfets got hot and I was getting black outs then came back but in and out. Please advise

stspringer

Joined Oct 1, 2019

Thank you for your help
Spoke too soon the mosfets got super hot, and I was getting black-outs then came back but in and out. Please advise

stspringer

Joined Oct 1, 2019
The purpose of R1 is to turn Q2 off. Apparently, the LED bleeds away enough charge from the gate. R1 might make it turn off faster.
Are you saying this "You may need a pullup on Q2 on the above circuit because when LEDs are not conducting, they are very high resistance."