Movies that make you smile?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One of my favorite actors is Maurice Joseph Micklewhite AKA (sir) Michael Caine. I recently watched a re-make of The Italian Job and it reminded me of watching his first movie, Alfie, I think that was the first time that an actor spoke to the camera in the narrative.
I think I had a rapport with him being close to his age and growing up not far from where he did.
One thing that always puzzled me was in the movie The Man Who Would be King (British army in Afghanistan made 1975) , and how was as a lad from the East end of London seemingly miscast as a British Army Officer?.
I can see Maybe his co-star Sean Connery, but from my spell in the British Army I thought it an odd choice.
I watched a recent TV interview with him about his past movies and it was revealed, where he said thanks to the director being American (John Huston) he got the role in the picture, he said there was no way he would ever have been cast as a British army officer by a an English director!!
Max.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
"Wild Tales" it is Spanish/Argentinian great movie about people. Excellent dark humor.
Spanish just co produced; content is pure Argentinian. Dialog has some gems that do no translate well. Even the title got a misleading word for "salvajes". It should be "savage" instead of "wild" in the sense of brutal or cruel.

Dialogs are incredibly good. Watched it 3 times in company of different people.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Spanish just co produced; content is pure Argentinian. Dialog has some gems that do no translate well. Even the title got a misleading word for "salvajes". It should be "savage" instead of "wild" in the sense of brutal or cruel.

Dialogs are incredibly good. Watched it 3 times in company of different people.
Yes, i knew about the title and could catch some of the dialogue... more insentive to keep working on my spanish. I could name about 20 soviet comedies that are brilliant but jokes do not translate at all because you had to live it to laugh at it so I can totally relate.

Pretty much any non-politically correct juvenile comedy from the 80's (Revenge of the Nerds, Richmont High, etc.).

Oh. And the Sound of Music.
Yes, i with you, 80's movies Fast times , one of my favorites, real genious, caddyshack, ghostbusters, so many to name for a great laugh.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
@nsaspook, I've just watched Dr Strange, and it was excellent. Among Marvel's very best, I think.

And Cumberbatch's acting is so good that it almost feels as if the character was written for him, and not the other way around.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
@nsaspook, I've just watched Dr Strange, and it was excellent. Among Marvel's very best, I think.

And Cumberbatch's acting is so good that it almost feels as if the character was written for him, and not the other way around.
Yes, it made me smile.
I managed to see the movie in IMAX 3D with my daughter in an almost empty (maybe 10 people) Downtown Portland theater Thursday. The movie was fantastic in almost every detail with me knowing the origin story from the original comics since my childhood. The little one said it was like crazy Harry Potter film. The 3D was very nicely done and I would recommend this format for a viewing. Be sure to stick around to the very end of the credits.;)