Mouse repair - power to circuit board, but not powering on

knightfork

Joined Sep 11, 2013
I have a Logitech MX Anywhere mouse, and the microswitches on these are notorious for failing. The rest of the mouse is great, so I went ahead and purchased new microswitches on ebay and soldered them in.

Repair looks pretty much like this:

Getting the old switches out wasn't easy as I don't have hot tweezers. I think it's possible I may have damaged the mouse's circuit board at this stage. Soldering in the new microswitches was easy enough.

Problem I'm running into is that the mouse doesn't power on.

When I check the voltage at the connections of the batteries to the circuit board (highlighted via arrows in below pic), I get 1.24V for each battery with the power switch off. With power switch on, I get 1.17V. But the 'ON' LED doesn't turn on and the mouse isn't recognized by the mouse's wireless receiver (which is plugged into computer).

Is there anything relatively easy to check here? It's a mouse, so not worth sinking a lot more time into this, but wondering if there's something obvious to look for.

I guess worst case, I can look to buy a similar mouse with worn out microswitches for cheap on ebay or craigslist and move the new microswitches over.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Grasping at straws: Power switch?
You could remove the switches and clean up the pads. It's possible you shorted one somehow. It should power up without the switch on the board.

knightfork

Joined Sep 11, 2013
Worth a shot, but no luck. Removed the microswitches, but the mouse doesn't power on.

I suspect I damaged something when I removed the original microswitches with only one soldering iron (and no hot tweezers). It was a bit of a hack job and I may have overheated some nearby parts.