Mouse adapter ps/2 to usb

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I made a mouse adapter from ps/2 to usb by connecting right wires and everything looks fine mouse is flashing but my computer doesn't recognize it.
If I understand that correctly, you are asking the PC to recognize your mouse via USB. The PC is still expecting to detect the presence of a mouse via the PS2 connector.

The software side of things is missing, methinks.

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
Passive adapters will only work if the mouse is designed to support both PS/2 and USB. If the mouse is PS/2 only then you require and active adapter.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
AFAIK, all USB devices have some sort of a Signature that tells the Host which Generic Driver is to be used. A PS2 mouse does not have this, and the PC has no way of knowing what device is connected to the USB. Normally, one should get an "unknown device" alarm.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I think so too. Could you tell me which software is missing?
You need a device between ps/2 mouse and pc. This device will receive ps/2 signals from mouse and translate them into usb signals. Normally a small microcontroller is used. The translation software resides on the microcontroller. The microcontroller tells the pc (Windows) to use generic usb HID driver.

HID: human interface device, normally mouse, keyboard.

Mukhammad Ali Zufarov

Joined Jul 18, 2018
You need a device between ps/2 mouse and pc. This device will receive ps/2 signals from mouse and translate them into usb signals. Normally a small microcontroller is used. The translation software resides on the microcontroller. The microcontroller tells the pc (Windows) to use generic usb HID driver.

HID: human interface device, normally mouse, keyboard.
which microcontrollers should be used

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
A mouse that will work with either PS/2 or USB will usually have that noted on the markings on the underside, but you have have to check the user manual.

Building a PS/2 to USB adapter that converts the signals is a lot of work. You can buy adapters that will support both a keyboard and a mouse quite inexpensively.

example (I know nothing of this specific product or the vendor, I just found it in a quick search)
https://www.ebay.ca/i/202288832859?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I recently had a wired mouse die. While looking in my buckets of junk I found a USB mouse with a PS2 adapter connected. I simply removed the adapter and connected the mouse to a USB port on my current system. Windows 10 just recognized the mouse and started working. Reading this thread I used the same mouse on Windows 7 as well as my ancient Windows Vista laptop. The everyday generic mouse worked fine on all three and would likely work on my real ancient Windows XP workstation. Somewhere around here I likely still have a few mice using the PS2 connector I have yet to throw away in the trash. Much of what you are asking has more to do with what operating system you are using than anything else and you make no mention of the operating system?

Ron

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
Since this thread has be resurrected for no apparent reason, I'm going to explain again:

In order for a mouse to work using a passive adpater (no electronic circuitry, just wires to connector pins) on either PS/2 or USB, the mouse itself must be designed to do that and have both circuitry and firmware to support it. If it detects it is plugged into a USB port it becomes as USB mouse. If it is plugged into a PS/2 port it becomes a PS/2 mouse. It has nothing to do with the operating system or drivers, other than that the OS must support a mouse on the port being used.