Motor power supply question

bingdog

Joined Oct 29, 2018
I am putting together a machine to power a roller spool. I have a 12V DC brushed gear motor that I am planning to use. Rated current: 4A, stall current:10.6A. The motor will start and stop frequently, 5 or 10 second intervals. I was looking to use a Mean Well LRS100 switching power supply https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=LRS-100. This power supply is rated for 8.5A. I understand that the current to start a motor is about the same as the stall current so I wonder if this power supply would be adequate?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
If it did not start and stop often you would probably get away with it. But seeing as it does, I might choose one capable of 12A.

Bob

bingdog

Joined Oct 29, 2018
The power supply has a hiccup mode which shuts it off when it draws 8.5A. I was thinking that might be a good thing because it would keep the motor from stalling and perhaps being damaged. I wonder however if the power supply could cut out when starting the motor? That would obviously not be a good thing.

bingdog

Joined Oct 29, 2018
A linear supply is quite a lot more and it may be tough to fit in the enclosure I have. Maybe an AC motor with a transformer would be a simpler and less expensive option. Is my thinking about the power supply cutting out before the motor stalls valid?
The power supply has a hiccup mode which shuts it off when it draws 8.5A. I was thinking that might be a good thing because it would keep the motor from stalling and perhaps being damaged. I wonder however if the power supply could cut out when starting the motor?