Motor for conveyor [SOLVED]

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I have had experience with a similar machines that probably works in the same principle, One is called a flying shear.
Where material such as fabric or sheet steel etc is fed continuously at high speed and needs to be cut to a specific length. The material is cut on the fly without the need for the material to stop.
Once the shear has operated it accelerates back and then resumes travel with the next sheet shear point is seen.
A carriage carrying the shear must be accelerated to meet the speed of the feed material before the cut occurs. Incremental encoders are used on the traveling parts to keep each in step.
The others are not so dramatic but similar in operation and are used to stamp the weight on pre-packaged foods such as cheeses, meats, fish etc, where the weight is not known ahead of time.
The conveyor motor in such a machine just requires a constant, uncontrolled RPM as the synchronizing is done with encoders on the crucial moving parts.

http://docplayer.net/44091851-Galil-motioncode-solution-computer-controlled-flying-shear.html
I keep bumping into the AB ultra 3000 servo drive as a follower for saws and such. The one I enjoyed most was a flying snap shear. A dogged, flywheel driven shear that cut high speed reduction rolled rebar. The enjoying part is when it hung up and sent orange hot spaghetti flying around the mill. The many videojet printers that I've worked with simply require an encoder input and a few parameter settings.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I keep bumping into the AB ultra 3000 servo drive as a follower for saws and such.
That's a great servo drive. It should be obsolete by now but I don't think AB can quit selling them without throwing the world into chaos. I generally loathe AB but that's one thing they did right. I wish they would issue some updated software for it. Have to run it in an XP virtual machine.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I also have had experience in this. But we did it differently. We used etched/engraved print wheels and ink to print the information on our cables and spark plug wire. while not the company that made ours, they were made like these - http://www.rsdtechnik.de/index.php/marking-and-printing/printing-wheels
The wheels ran in a pan of paint/ink and had a wax wiper to remove all but what was trapped in the engraved surface. The wire moving past the print wheel also turned the wheel.
I'm surprised I never encountered that. Very clever, and even though I've never seen it in action, I'm going to vote that is absolutely the way everyone should go, if their print never changes, or doesn't change often. The inkjet machines (markem imaje at least) are complicated and cantankerous, and don't have a single standard part on them; everything is proprietary and only available from the manufacturer at high cost. The maintenance is a pain and when they make a mess, it's not the kind of mess you simply "clean up."

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I'm surprised I never encountered that
The wire cutters we used converted bulk cable and wire that we made into different products many different products made on the same cutter by changing lengths or what ever was needed. By using the print wheels when a change over was made the operator just changed the wheel to match what was getting cut.

These guys bought their wire and terminals from us, and they use the same wheels to print the information on their wiring. https://www.painlessperformance.com/ If you look at the wires in the harnesses they are marked where they go, that was done with a print wheel.

Last edited:

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
A variation on the same theme was at a float glass plant I had to visit from time to time. At the end of the line the glass strip had to be cut into lengths. This was achieved by the cutting head traversing the moving glass at angle. The speed of the cutting head and the angle were controlled so the cut was at right angles to the edge of the glass strip.

Les.