Motor Driver Timer Help Needed

LMHEngineering

Joined Jan 2, 2018
Hi All

Im new here and wanted some help from some experienced users.

I have built a simple 555 Timer circuit with potentiometers to fine tune the timing in which i am driving the following Motor Controller

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/dc-motor-controllers/7736844/

I needed the motor to go in both directions 6 and 8 seconds so once i got the timing right i put the output into FW and i also put the output into a LM741 Op Amp on the inverted side and then put the output of the LM741 into BW so i was able to get the Motor controller to drive for the correct timing in both directions, this was simple based on my simple electronics work. Inm sure there could have been an easier way, i did try a Inverter (4049) but it was not powerful enough to drive the controller so the LM741 was good for this.

Where the real fun comes in and this is where i would like some help is i need to run 4 controllers one after the other. I know i cant replicate my current circuit as it will still be driving through the Op amp whilst the second triggers (if i have got that right) so im assuming i need to do the 556 system and to do that i need 8 x 555 Chips or 4 x 556 chips but can i get this to work in theory?

Where i kinda get stuck is how to work out the timings in the 556 way i.e. Resistor and Capacitors.

Look forward to your help.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Have you considered the use of a single uC (micro-Controller) for this? While I am far from Mr. Programmer I would think a uC like an Arduino Uno could be programmed to do all of this and easily coupled to your motor controllers. While it could be done using discreet timers I would think a uC with some relatively simple programming could handle this.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
While a little overkill the Arduino Mega would do just fine. There are countless code samples out there for anything Arduino as well as the PICAXE chips. I just see any uC as a good viable solution rather than using discreet components like the 555 and 556 timer chips. Using Amazon here in the US I can have an Arduino in literally two days. Something to note is there are also Chinese knock off versions of the Arduino and while I have not tried any people claim they also work.

Something else to note is Jumper Wire bundles make for easy connections to the Arduino boards. A Google of Arduino Jumper Wires should yield dozens of hits. The boards come with female sockets.

Ron