Motor Controller Power Supply

mattrgs

Joined Oct 7, 2016
Ronv - Would this create DC? And wouldn't it be hard to control, as above half would be above the motor's rating? In my current version I am running it on a 15 to 1 pulley and only go to less than 50% on the controller.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The simple form of SCR/Triac control for a DC motor is using a power tool 'dimmer' followed by a bridge rectifier, but there is little to no steady rpm control when the load varies.
Max.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Ronv - Would this create DC? And wouldn't it be hard to control, as above half would be above the motor's rating? In my current version I am running it on a 15 to 1 pulley and only go to less than 50% on the controller.
If you only use a 1/2 wave rectifier you will get ~ 1/2 the voltage and it will be unfiltered DC. It may hum a little depending on the motor.

mattrgs

Joined Oct 7, 2016
I realise that there any many different solutions, and the one that I came up is possibly not the best, but it seems the simplest, cheapest and quickest. So would the 2 components I gave links for on the previous page with a pulley work?
I have found a 15A power supply that I would use, which is in excess as the mains plug would have a 13A fuse in.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It would most likely work if you treat it gently, ensure you stop/start with the speed pot at zero, there is most likely no ramping up featured.
BTW that is 14A at 24vdc so that current at 240vac will be less (240watts).
Max.