Motor and 2 limit switches

Zeppssgtr

Joined Jan 17, 2019
Can anyone help me or point me in the direction of the answer on here? I'm fixing an old street clock that has been motorized a long time ago. The motor only runs in one direction to pull the clock weight up. It's worked fine before. But someone went in and moved wires around. It has a 8 pin relay, and 2 limit switches. One switch starts the motor when the weight falls on it, another switch stops the motor when the weight is brought back up. Any diagram that can help me with this?? Thanks

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
It probably works like a contactor is wired with start and stop buttons on a motor starter. The start button (NO contact.) is connected in parallel with a NO contact on the relay. The stop button (NC contact.) is connected in series with the coil. The start button and the NO contact on the relay supply power to the coil via the stop button. When the start button is pressed it causes the relay to close but as its is in parallel with the NO contact on the relay the relay remains closed after the start button is released. The stop button interrupts the power to the coil so the relay opens. (And remains open as the path through it's NO contact is now broken. The load can be connected in parallel with the relay coil (If it is the same voltage.) or fed via another NO contact on the relay. You will need a NO contact on the start switch and a NC contact on the stop switch.

Les.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Les is right. If the relay is standard then the commons for each poles will be pins 1 and 8, the coil will be between pins 2 and 7, and the normally closed will be 3 and 6, with the normally open being 4 and 5. But please use a continuity checker to verify that, in case it is a non-standard relay.
pin 1 would be the common for pins 3 and 4, pin8 would be the common for pins 5 and 6.
But it might be that I got the NC and NO pins swapped so that is why to check.

Zeppssgtr

Joined Jan 17, 2019
I appreciate the help alot! I will look at the clock a little later this afternoon. Are there any diagrams around I could sample off of?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The circuits posted by Max include the one required for the clock winder, The top switch, (STOP) would replace a stop button, while the bottom switch (START) would replace the start button. But I don't see any circuit for an 8ping plug in relay. That circuit is usually printed on the top of the relay case, or possibly on the side. Perhaps Tony, with his excellent drawing skills , can produce the drawing.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
This is the basic schematic.
180119.jpg
The load can be connected in parallel with the relay coil or controlled by a second set of NO contacts on the relay.

Les.

Zeppssgtr

Joined Jan 17, 2019
It is defiantly 8 pin octal.. I did notice one of the limit switches had 120v on both legs (even when disconnected from switch) wondering if previous maintenance guy miss wired it as normally open

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I suggest that you start by tracing out how it is connected now before changing anything. Post the existing schematic and we can probably suggest the easiest way to make it work the way you want it to work.

Les.