motion sensor traffic signal help

Idleone

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Good day. I have a complete set of traffic signals and would like to do the following: actuate green light on garage door opening> kill green light/actuate yellow light at x distance> kill yellow/actuate red at park position>flash red>timer off. I would also like to sense random flash on motion in garage. Is this possible? Am I in the right forum? Thanks

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi

Off the top of my head...
It wouldn't be tied into your vehicle but three or four garage door sensors at specific distances and appropriate logic.

Logic maybe:
Three sensors on and door up = green
two sensors on and door up = yellow
one sensor on and door up = Red
no sensors on and door up = Flash Red
no sensors on or door down = dark

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
There are very low cost ultrasonic distance measuring sensors on ebay from China. One of these plus a door switch should be a good starting point. What is your power source for the project? What is your skill level at soldering electronic circuits?

ak

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
I like the ultrasonic sensor idea. Not much call for soldering though, just get an Arduino some LEDs and the ultrasonic sensor, write a bit of code (mostly stolen from examples provided) and Bob's your uncle, sorted.

Idleone

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Thanks for the reply to my question. While researching sensors I came across this:

There are no original thoughts...just small groups of like minded people.
Not quite sure how to go about it yet, but it's been done and can thus be duplicated

Thanks for the assistance!

Idleone

Joined Sep 13, 2015
There are very low cost ultrasonic distance measuring sensors on ebay from China. One of these plus a door switch should be a good starting point. What is your power source for the project? What is your skill level at soldering electronic circuits?

ak
I have zero experience soldering anything. I ain't scared to try though! I am in the baby stages of this idea, as I know what I want to do. Next is the figuring

Idleone

Joined Sep 13, 2015
I like the ultrasonic sensor idea. Not much call for soldering though, just get an Arduino some LEDs and the ultrasonic sensor, write a bit of code (mostly stolen from examples provided) and Bob's your uncle, sorted.
I like the arduino idea. However, after eetech00's comment I did a bit of research and found I can get a micro controller for next to nothing ($9.00) and don't have to bother with the programing.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Cool video..

What controller did you have in mind?
What type of power do you need for the traffic lamps?
Are the lamps incandescent or LED?
Maybe have the micro-controller drive a PWM driver to reduce lamp power consumption(?)