Mosfet

power_hf

Joined May 13, 2008
first, I'm a vietnamese and this is the first time I come here.I know this website through google.
second, I have some problems , so I want your help.

1/ as you know, n-mosfet has a gate (G), and I want to know the function of silicon dioxide layer and metal layer. What are their role in Mosfet?
2/ the Enhancement-Mode MOSFET, I want a little information about it.
my English is so bad :(.
Thank you very much!

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
first, I'm a vietnamese and this is the first time I come here.I know this website through google.
second, I have some problems , so I want your help.

1/ as you know, n-mosfet has a gate (G), and I want to know the function of silicon dioxide layer and metal layer. What are their role in Mosfet?
Thank you very much!
Try a search in google if you like about mosfet. But the silicon dioxide is used to insulate the gate terminal from the channel of the fet as to have a very high input impedance. The metal gate is used to distribute the electric field all over the channel.
The enhancement mosfet in simple words behaves like a voltage controlled switch. When you apply a positive Vgs (for n-channel) it passes current (closed switch) through it , when you apply zero volts on Vgs the transistor behaves like an open switch.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
mik3 has offered an answer to this one.

Thank you very much!
The notion of enhancement-mode means that by applying a gate-voltage you are enhancing the source-drain connection by creating a conducting channel between these two points.

The opposite of enhancement-mode is depletion-mode, which is where by applying a gate-voltage you are depleting the source-drain connection by removing a conducting channel between these two points.

This also applies for other FETs including JFETs.

Dave

power_hf

Joined May 13, 2008
you make me supprised because of your knowledge. I'm just a freshmen in electronics field.
do you know about the structure of IC ?where can I read it? are there some websites about circuit that I can download their books without money? I'm poor!:p

_what means "troubleshooting"? I have looked up many dictionaries , but they have no this word!

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Trouble shoot.

Trouble - problems, malfunctions.

Shoot - To kill, to end.

Troubleshoot - to analyze a malfunctioning circuit or machine to determine what is causing the problem, usually with the end goal to repair it.

Don't worry about your english too much, I see folks whose native tongue is English that can't speak it correctly. I'm probably one of them.