MOSFET Spice Model to LTSpice Model

hey_ gluppy

Joined Jul 4, 2017
Hi Expert!

Could you help me to convert the Spice Model of this Mosfet STY145N65M5 to LTSpice Model?
Here, I attached the Spice Model of the MOSFET.

Your great help is much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
? That's the old version. LTspiceXVII has been around for some time.
They stopped supporting that last January at least for component and subcircuit models. The executable is dated Jul 20, 2023 version 17.0.37. The new version is LTspice (Version 17.1.15)

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The simulator model of a transistor or Mosfet is usually only for one that has "typical" specs. Devices that you buy can have minimum or maximum specs and will work completely differently, unless you change the simulation model's specs or your circuit has adjustments to the specs.

MrPIxel

Joined Oct 18, 2023
Thanks for the advice I’m very new to the Spice Version 17.1.4.... but I have taken to it like fish to water.
I’m hoping the MOSFET model I downloaded from AAC is good enough, and I haven’t found a new STY145N65M5 spice model at a USA vendor’s website yet, but any leads to a vendor’s website with a more sophisticated model, I would greatly appreciate.
I’m blown away by the sophistication of the newer GIU spice simulator ...only knew about the ASCII text version before.
I see that with an irfp4668 wimpy MOSFET, 200volt, 130 amp that I was just modeling some of the fast turnoff/turnons ( just using a 10khz test signal) were generating some multiMegaHZ ringing .... WOW was I impressed I can see I simulate this without breaboarding. So all the parasitic ESR, ESL, and ESC will be important I’m aiming for a variable 140V, 200amp power supply. My Caps are bigger than quart milk containers and my 3-phase bridge rectifier is fist size, I‘m using car battery jumper cables as clip leads on this, a Torque wrench, and 3/8” bolts. Aside has anyone spice modeled an NTC Thermistor? Please let me know about that also
Thanks in advance

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I’m still looking for a new STY145N65M5 spice model ( it’s a monster 650 volt 183 amp MOSET)

Please get back to me if the below link is very familiar to someone?

but found a great Spice model tutorial for Power MOSFETS.

Spice Model tutorial for Power Mosfets

if the above link doesn’t work try this
https://www.st.com/content/ccc/reso...df/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00064632.pdf
Here is .zip containing STY145N65M5 models.
Includes symbols and test circuits for LTspice.

Attachments

MrPIxel

Joined Oct 18, 2023
WOW ... .Thanks much eetech00! .... hopefully the machine I’m building will be a world changer ... I hope to make an energy-producing desalination machine

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
@MrPIxel
Please note:
Restricted topics. The following topics are considered "out of bounds" and will result in your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
Moderation

MrPIxel

Joined Oct 18, 2023
Thank you EricGibbs for giving me a heads up on Restricted Topics!, Are there any more Restricted topics? I applaud your efforts in restricting Whacky Electric over-unity circuits. They are all Whacky! That said, I’m a Scientist, part Nuclear physicist, biologist, and pretty good engineer. I really appreciate your heads up and will not explain pure physics to anyone on this thread. We need to stop using fossil fuels as fast as possible as our oceans absorbing CO2 will acidify and be dead in the 2040s as the pH will fall to less than 8 by about March or April of 2053, but the ocean will be devoid of life before then if we don’t do something soon. This is pure Physics. I plan to power ships with deuterium in seawater and that’s how my out-of-bounds topic works .. Pure Physics. I was recently introduced to this forum and really appreciate the top-notch assistance I have read about on this forum. It’s been invaluable to me so far. Thank you. MrPixel

MrPIxel

Joined Oct 18, 2023
Hello Alec_t

What will power that? Can your domestic mains supply provide >30kW for a prolonged period?

A very astute question! In the building I used to work in we had a 440v 3-phase system and no problem ... but my new quarters is an older building in an industrial area and the service panel is limited to 70 amps 2-phase... I can easily upgrade this to 3-phase 70 amps, and that will almost get me there. about 34hP .. but it will take me more than a year to get a heavy centrifuge spinning and ultra-balanced and I’m limited to the 12 hp belt drive transmission I have ... If I get this far and get spinning properly ... I can then upgrade to a more robust gear transmission system and can upgrade my panel to 200 + amps/phase.

I started out in the pico-amps and microvolt world in college and this high-power stuff is new to me.. but good physics scales.
so onwards and upwards ...

MrPixel

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Thank you EricGibbs for giving me a heads up on Restricted Topics!, Are there any more Restricted topics?
Hi MrP.
The restricted Topics are listed in the AAC agreements, which you should have read, when you joined AAC.
E
Ref: Terms & Rules on the bottom line of this page.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
This is pure Physics. I plan to power ships with deuterium in seawater
Have you done the maths to determine how much energy it takes to extract the deuterium from seawater? And where will that energy come from?
What has deuterium extraction to do with the desalination you referred to earlier?

Last edited:

MrPIxel

Joined Oct 18, 2023
Here is .zip containing STY145N65M5 models.
Includes symbols and test circuits for LTspice.
Thank you so much eetech00, The MOSFET spice model worked perfectly and the examples taught me some Spice tricks.
Can you show me where you found the files... or did you make them? MrPixel

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Thank you so much eetech00, The MOSFET spice model worked perfectly and the examples taught me some Spice tricks.
Can you show me where you found the files... or did you make them? MrPixel
I downloaded the model from the STMicroelectronics website.
I created the symbol and always do a basic test to ensure it "works".
However, I'm not responsible for how well the model is designed, that's up to the author(s).

Glad it work for you...