MOSFET over heating

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Looking at the board theres 2 seperate powersuplies 12V & 24V with 2 seperate driver ICs. Surely they both arent faulty? I would have suspected something common to both to be the problem. Before the 2 suplies.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
No load, nothing nada.....just open circuit voltage is OK, even a light load cause the voltage to drop, when removed, voltage comes back slooooooooooooooowly.
A load can be anything drawing current. A blown IC, transistor, capacitor etc can all become loads draining current.

A regulator that only "works" no load often means the feedback control circuitry is OK but the power device(s) are blown. They pass enough leakage current to put the output at the right value unloaded but fail anytime any added load is required.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Haven't u been reading..
I have changed all the faulty caps in the secondary and this thing is a SMPS.
Would a blown device give no load voltage...

Which planet are u from ?

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Check the orange poly caps, they have probably gone open (or close to.)

Also measure the ripple on the power supply under load. 300VDC sounds too low, it should be close to ~320VDC in standby and 350 - 400VDC when running.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Haven't u been reading..

Which planet are u from ?
The one where I designed power supplies for 30 years. Let me repeat what I said:

A regulator that only "works" no load often means the feedback control circuitry is OK but the power device(s) are blown. They pass enough leakage current to put the output at the right value unloaded but fail anytime any added load is required.
And add this: your post is the electronic equivalent of:

My car doesn't run right, what's wrong with it?

You probably have an off-line switcher designed based around a half bridge topology using dedicated ASICs unique to the manufacturer. When a converter blows and transistor junction get punched, it often puts high voktage onto the low voltage drivers and/or control circuitry. In short, it can blow almost anything or everything. That's why a low wattage power supply is considered a disposable item. Even if you had the schematic, the "repair" procedure is to change every part that could have been hit and that typically costs about 3X what a new replacement P/S does.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
You probably have an off-line switcher designed based around a half bridge topology using dedicated ASICs unique to the manufacturer. When a converter blows and transistor junction get punched, it often puts high voltage onto the low voltage drivers and/or control circuitry. In short, it can blow almost anything or everything. That's why a low wattage power supply is considered a disposable item. Even if you had the schematic, the "repair" procedure is to change every part that could have been hit and that typically costs about 3X what a new replacement P/S does.
I guess now you make sense to me.

OK then, let me get whirl at all the caps.