MOSFET footprint on PCB

pjreijiri

Joined Aug 19, 2015
Hello everyone,
I am designing a PCB and I want to use an IRFP4468 mosfet.
It has a heatpad on the back. I know how to make the 3 through holes for G, D and S. but how can I position a heat pad on the PCB for it?
Since the mosfet needs to be bent, how can I know where to position the heatpad in relative to the holes?

Since we are on the subject as well, do you have an idea about diodes? What is the minimum distance between the 90 degree bend in the leg and the body of the diode?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The TO247 housing is normaly mounted on a heatsink.
The fet is mounted on the edge of the PCB so the fet can be bolted to the heatsink.

Bertus

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Please upload your circuit and PCB layout to the forum and compress them to a clear resolution as 800x600 or 1024x768 .jpg file.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Hello everyone,
I am designing a PCB and I want to use an IRFP4468 mosfet.
It has a heatpad on the back. I know how to make the 3 through holes for G, D and S. but how can I position a heat pad on the PCB for it?
Since the mosfet needs to be bent, how can I know where to position the heatpad in relative to the holes?

Since we are on the subject as well, do you have an idea about diodes? What is the minimum distance between the 90 degree bend in the leg and the body of the diode?
Here is a link about it.
http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1031.pdf
As far as pad location goes, you need to use the mechanical diagram to calculate it.