MOSFET drivers

mbek

Joined Oct 30, 2011
Hello,

I'm working on a sensored brushless driver, and am currently using L298 as drivers. It all works just fine, but since they are full H-bridges, I'm using just half of each bridge. And in addition to that, they can withstand only 1A.
Are there any ICs such as L293 that can withstand currents of up to 3-4-5A? If not, which MOSFETs are recommended for such circuits?

Thanks...

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
You don't give any information on your voltage or current needs? You can use the 298 paralleled to get more amperage. What are you using for your commutation logic? A PIC? A motor driver IC?

mbek

Joined Oct 30, 2011
As I said, current should be between 3 and 5A, voltage no more than 20V.

I am currently commutating with a blackfin processor since this is a part of a larger project. I know I a can parallel 298 to get more current, but since only half of each H bridge is used per phase of the motor, 298 is pretty much an overkill. That's why I'd like to use an out-of--the-box half-H-bridge, or make one myself. But I can neither find a suitable half-bridge IC, nor am I good enough with MOSFETs to properly select them for a half-bridge fast enough for this application.