Monostable 555 timer single use?

zraffz

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I am relatively new to all of this but I have done a tremendous amount of reading and a few simple projects.

I am looking to design a circuit that runs on 12 volts DC and runs for a predetermined period of time (it's looking like it will be roughly .6 or 6/10 of a second). It will power a motor for this time period (I am not using a stepper motor, to ensure proper positioning I have designed physical stops at each end of the motor's cycle). I'd probably have no issue doing this using a momentary switch but I want to use a toggle switch and I do not want the motor to run more than the initial cycle of .6 seconds. Once I flip the toggle switch off (let's say a day later), it will reverse the polarity of the motor and cycle backwards to its original position.

I'd assume the most efficient way is to use a 555 timer and an h-bridge but I do not understand how to make it perform a single cycle without looping and constantly trying to turn over the motor (and burning it out in the process).

Thanks!

zraffz

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Nevermind... I searched this all over Google and found my results when I researched this site again.

This can be deleted or locked.

zraffz

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I didn't realize I could run my trigger wire to the reset on a 555 timer. I'll actually be using a 556 timer, using a SPDT switch. When the switch is in phase "a" it will trigger "trigger 1 and reset 1" and in phase "b" it will trigger "trigger 2 and reset 2" and the outputs will run to an h-bridge.