Monostable 555 timer doesn't always output

kyled21

Joined Apr 16, 2017
I have attached a schematic of the timer configuration. through testing and power cycling the 555 timer outputs 60% of the time but the other 40% the 555 will not output. What could be the reason for this? (SC_12V is just 12V)

Schematic.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
The trigger time constant is very short so triggering will depend a great deal on the rate of rise of the supply voltage. I suggest increasing the time constant of the trigger RC by a factor of 10 to 100.

Normally discharge is connected directly to the threshold pin and the cap for one-shot operation, though this is not strictly necessary if you don't mind the long discharge time and potential for having a shortened output pulse if the timing cap has not been fully discharged.

HW-nut

Joined May 12, 2016
Looks like the intent is to trigger the one shot on power on. When trying to retrigger, are you sure the power source is fully discharged?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
As noted, the R1C1 time constant seems short, at only 0.47ms, to trigger from the power supply power up.
Increase the value of R1 and/or C1 to give an RC value at 20 times of what you have.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
As noted, the R1C1 time constant seems short, at only 0.47ms, to trigger from the power supply power up.
Increase the value of R1 and/or C1 to give an RC value at 20 times of what you have.
And perhaps add a diode across R1, cathode to 12V, to discharge C1 when power is removed so the circuit will react to a brief power down.

kyled21

Joined Apr 16, 2017
Ok can you look at pins 2, 3 on power up to see whats going on with your scope.

Then pins 3, 6 ... And note the times.
For Pins 2 and 3, they both rise to roughly Vcc(12V) and then after a few seconds Pin 3 falls and Pin 2 is still high.
For Pins 3 and 6, Pin 3 rises to roughly 12V while Pin 6 is slowly climbing to about 7V and once around 7V, Pin 3 drops to zero and Pin 6 slowly falls to zero. However, When I connect the scope to pin 6 the output stays higher than it normally should

As for time, I got rise time of trigger pin anywhere from 40us to 960us.

When ever the 555 does not output the scope waveform form pin 2 rises a very small bit and falls or doesn't move at all.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You can get a faster discharge by linking out pins 6,7, and put your charging resistor on pins 7,8.

Sounds like its working ok.