Monitoring motion and receiving an alert in my phone

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I need to monitor a warehouse where I work at to sense activity on the floor, and then to broadcast instructions via speakers so that I can give them instructions. I have no control on when the people will show up, and so I need to be notified in real time when activity is taking place.

This is what I need:

• To use an ordinary motion sensor, like the ones used to automatically turn a patio light on.
  • When the sensor is activated, an alarm is sent through the web to my phone
  • I then use my phone to verbally give instructions that will be broadcast through speakers installed around the warehouse

I already have cameras monitoring the area, so the visual part of my needs is covered. But I'd like to know when someone walks into the place, and then give instructions to that someone without constantly having to be watching the cameras. I'm already using a software that analyses the video feed and alerts me when it senses activity, but it's very unreliable and it triggers way too many false alarms. An ordinary motion sensor would be perfect, since most of them can be adjusted for sensitivity.

I have the ability to electronically interface the sensor to a computer, such as through the serial port. And the programming skills necessary to process that alarm into whatever protocol a third-party software would need.

So far, I've encountered two possibilities. One company sells a remotely controlled relay that also has one input, and which supposedly can be used for the sensing and alarm purposes. They boast a zero monthly fee for its use through their servers, but it doesn't seem like it's easy to adapt for my purposes.

The other company sells paging and intercom systems that might cover my audio needs. But its specs are too vague.

Anyone here care to share their ideas?

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Well the esp2866 is easy to work with I use it all the time with
ordinary motion sensor
PIR http://www.oddwires.com/pir-sensor-...sGeeOWUAE7ifWfQzFAjRnlD2nK9LQqgBoCjdoQAvD_BwE

Get a esp like this one https://www.google.com/search?q=esp...AQAw&biw=1280&bih=659#spd=1415017811595634959 it's easy to work with. Has all you need to start with.

And make your app with this not really to hard but you maybe find one made
Or make it with this http://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp8266-controlled-with-android-app-mit-app-inventor/
The easy app's are just a plain web page that the app reads the on click. the the ESP read the PIR for motion
post it and the app pop's up on the phone.

You can use the arduino ide for the ESP to read the PIR and post, The app read's post phone pop's up there you go.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have a Wyze cam and am fairly impressed especially given the price. You might dismiss it as no different than what you have, but it does support two-way audio. Push-to-talk on the remote end. The software only allows three sensitivity levels and does not break the image into zones like some more expensive systems. But the camera can be used with alternative software that may support these other features.

Might not do the job but it would cost only $25 to find out.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I have a Wyze cam and am fairly impressed especially given the price. You might dismiss it as no different than what you have, but it does support two-way audio. Push-to-talk on the remote end. The software only allows three sensitivity levels and does not break the image into zones like some more expensive systems. But the camera can be used with alternative software that may support these other features.

That is an excellent suggestion. If it's got sound (and it does) we're almost there. Only thing to review is the sensitivity level. But for 25 bucks it might well be worth the try.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have mine watching my front door. At high sensitivity it was picking up cars going by in the background. On medium it sees package deliveries and the wind blowing a rocking chair. But it won’t trigger when a cat comes to the door. That’s the main thing I need, so I still have adjustments to make.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That is an excellent suggestion. If it's got sound (and it does) we're almost there. Only thing to review is the sensitivity level. But for 25 bucks it might well be worth the try.
I don't know if it affects your thinking at all, but the Wyze app just added the ability to zone the image for motion detection. I haven't played with it yet but I'm hopeful this will be huge for me. I'll apply high sensitivity motion detection to the welcome mat area to detect package deliveries and a cat wanting let in. The zoning should allow it to ignore cars passing by in the background and maybe even the rocking chair on my porch that moves when the wind blows.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I don't know if it affects your thinking at all, but the Wyze app just added the ability to zone the image for motion detection. I haven't played with it yet but I'm hopeful this will be huge for me. I'll apply high sensitivity motion detection to the welcome mat area to detect package deliveries and a cat wanting let in. The zoning should allow it to ignore cars passing by in the background and maybe even the rocking chair on my porch that moves when the wind blows.
As a matter of fact, I've already decided that Wyze is the way to go, thanks to you. And thanks for mentioning this new feature, I'll look into it as soon as I get the cameras.

Many thanks!

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009

WoW.. I havent' seen that one yet.. The price is almost unbelievable for what it seems to be..

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
WoW.. I havent' seen that one yet.. The price is almost unbelievable for what it seems to be..
I've been running mine outside (on a well covered porch) since Christmas and it's been pretty darn good. I think I had to reboot (power cycle) it only once.

FWIW, I put a microSD card in it. It gives me about 3 days worth of stored video and just writes over the oldest files. Each minute of each hour of each day is a discreet clip. But the app doesn't offer them up that way, it stitches them together as you browse a timeline. You have to remove the card and put it in your computer if you want direct access to the files.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
As a matter of fact, I've already decided that Wyze is the way to go, thanks to you. And thanks for mentioning this new feature, I'll look into it as soon as I get the cameras.

Many thanks!
Anyone with a WyzeCam may be interested to learn that they've added support for RTSP on your local LAN. (I think it's limited to the local LAN for security reasons.) I haven't played with it yet so I'm not really sure of the details but it should expand the functionality of this little camera. Being able to use 3-rd party surveillance software should be a big deal.

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026245231-Wyze-Cam-RTSP

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
Using a GSM+GPRS module like sim808 plus an arduino makes sense along with a PIR or Uwave motion detector,
also using an extra android smartphone with a installed motion detection featured app along with this useful app could be another handy solution.

Many thanks!
If you have decided to go that way, then so be it. The Martinez wants what the Martinez wants, as they say. Nevertheless, I am going to throw the Ring out there https://shop.ring.com/ as a consideration. Less DIY to be sure, but maybe less headaches as well and they have now been around for a while and have earned some level of enduring popularity.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
If you have decided to go that way, then so be it. The Martinez wants what the Martinez wants, as they say. Nevertheless, I am going to throw the Ring out there https://shop.ring.com/ as a consideration. Less DIY to be sure, but maybe less headaches as well and they have now been around for a while and have earned some level of enduring popularity.
Thanks for the suggestion, Ray ... but I already have a Ring. And I'm not entirely satisfied with it ... it doesn't detect (that is, trigger an alert) sudden light intensity changes, and only detects motion done by warm objects (apparently). It's also a bit more costly, and charges a monthly fee... I want to try this $20.00 bargain, and see if I can make it perform the way I want it to. Or maybe find some software out there that squeezes all of its potential out of it.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ray ... but I already have a Ring. And I'm not entirely satisfied with it ... it doesn't detect (that is, trigger an alert) sudden light intensity changes, and only detects motion done by warm objects (apparently). It's also a bit more costly, and charges a monthly fee... I want to try this $20.00 bargain, and see if I can make it perform the way I want it to. Or maybe find some software out there that squeezes all of its potential out of it.
Sounds reasonable. I have heard good things about the ring, but have no direct experience so what you have said is particularly notable.

I thought that monthly charge was for video storage, which is certainly convenient. One thing that I have noticed just from the board participation is that it is not terribly easy to interface your own devices to the Ring system. I wonder if a combo MW/PIR would be feasible. Anyways, let us know.

When I think about those kinds of tasks, where I am not just puttering with something, I like to ask myself these questions:

If I can make it, how long will it take me?
Can I make it cheaper?
Can I make as good or better?

The order seems to change as I age.

Last edited: