monitor display

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i m facing a unique problem, ne advice will be helpful.
for some reasons my monitor(crt not tft) does not show green colour only blue and red and thier combinations. green colours appear as black.
this is the second time it has happened in two days at almost the same time.
last time it went on that way for few hrs then automatically it corrected after say 5 hours.
any ideas why?

niftydog

Joined Jun 13, 2007
It's on the way out by the sounds of it. There could be a number of reasons why, but the only one really worth checking is to make sure the cables are securely plugged in. Beyond that it's probably not worth the effort given the prices of new LCD monitors these days.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
There is probably a small pcb on the back of the CRT. The pairs of transistors (this was the way it was done some years ago) control the modulating voltage to the three guns. Losing green sounds like either a poor solder joint or one of the transistors opening up with heat. Try wiggling the cable to the computer to eliminate that possibility - I've seen more bad cables than failures inside the monitors.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
thanks ,
guess what the green colour is back!--i knew it wud.
it happened at the same time before.
in last two days and two failures

it goes off at abt 11:00 pm IST
and comes back at abt 5 am IST
any ideas!
is it possible that it senses light presence /absence .
its a 4 (read only here if you got older one) years old samsung 753 s
i dont think they put such a technology in it.

the problem is more funny than it is annoying.
there is also a possibility that i m having green-night blindness.:)

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
:D
know what it happened again now at 11 am and is yet to correct.
maybe time to get a new one :(
so its not night blindness now.
there is possibly something wrong with the green gun circuitry.

green is answer to global warming.
if i dont get green display my temperature wud rise thus the temperature of earth wud also rise by abt .00001 degree depending on temp and heat trannsfer coeff:)

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Wiggle the VGA cable like beenthere suggested, especially near the VGA connector and back of the monitor. You can wiggle it hard and pull or push a little. Also check that there is no bendy pins in the VGA connector. Most colour missing problems are associated with bad cables and connectors.

If all else failed, then it is time to find that bad joints. If you are planning to scrap the monitor anyway, then as a last resort you could scientifically apply a little bit of gentle persuasion by slapping the back casing hard a few times :D

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i change the cable connection from grafix card to the motherboard that didnt help either , scrapping the monitor is the last thing i want , may i will have someone take a look and if that doesnt help then slapping the back casing hard
is always a good option :D

mentaaal

Joined Oct 17, 2005
My friend has been having the same problem only his happens when he brings his computer over to play games all night :D

his problem was a bent pin. as all the others have said already i would say its a pin or cable.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
thanks mr mentaaal,
i looked for the bent pin and did whatever i cud ,
i asked someone who deals with these and he confidently replied it probably is a cable or connector fault. i havent sent it for repairs yet wud be sending after a couple of days ,till then i will forget that there are three primary colours and i m not playing any games these days so no problem there :D

one thing i noticed even the white colur now looks sort of violet ,i never gave it a thought that even white wud be made o three colurs :p

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
what do u know,
i took all ur advice and ...............thanks everybody :)
at least i now know where the problem is and my crt is good (those are quite sturdy arent they)
thanks MR:
beenthere
n9352527
mentaal;
u ppl are gr8 problem solvers.
i tried wiggling the cable before but at the cpu end shud have done that at the monitor end as stated,also a few slapping + venting some air & anger into the monitor casing might have done the trick (though i think its the cable)
thanks again.

i m facing a unique problem, ne advice will be helpful.
for some reasons my monitor(crt not tft) does not show green colour only blue and red and thier combinations. green colours appear as black.
this is the second time it has happened in two days at almost the same time.
last time it went on that way for few hrs then automatically it corrected after say 5 hours.
any ideas why?
can u specify the make of panel

lg00111

Joined Apr 22, 2008
Did you tried to demagnetize the monitor through push button on your monitor or you can also do this through your graphic software.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
Yes degaussing is the first thing that I did.

Its now clear to me that its the data cable's(or pins) fault when a colour disappears from a CRT monitor, I have seen this now in my college multiple times already. I always wiggle the cable a bit and voila!! all of a sudden I'm a genius. :D

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
Just for the record, monitor cables always fail at the monitor end.
Now He tells us. :D
That would have sure saved me some agony a year ago.
Got to remember this when fixing this problem on college projectors.
that however is one good pece of info, thanks Mr Beenthere.

off course you r genius.
You really do not know much about me then, :p thanks.

I think you should buy a new one lol
Incidentally my monitor is perhaps the only thing that will remain when I go for an upgrade. :D