Modifying the latest EK-04 LED controller to have the LEDs stay steady on by default at power up.

chrisowen876

Joined Jul 1, 2023
Hello, I just bought several of these latest LEDs string lights powered by 120VAC featuring a tiny EK-04 white controller.
On the board there are two ICs, one is a MB10F bridge rectifier.
The other is a small 6 pin IC with two outputs connected to the LED wires. On the controller IC is written the letters 806B.
The only other parts are a 150K resistor, a 5K resistor, a small ceramic cap, and a push button switch.

Like everyone who has ever bought one of these LED strings, I just want the LEDs to stay on permanently from power up.
I can't even guess why the designers did not figure out no one wants this flashing by default. They would sell far more.

I just wondered if there is a mod to forever stop the flashing for this latest design controller?
There seem to be many variants which can be modified to do this. hopefully this one can also because I have several.

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
You would need to bypass the chip, setting the pins to whatever they are at for steady on. It sounds like this is high voltage. Are they running strings of LEDs in series? How many?

If you are lucky, it will simply have the input voltage to the chip on the output. If that's the case, cut the wires from the output pins and jumper the power in to the traces that were connected to the outputs.

chrisowen876

Joined Jul 1, 2023
Yeah, embarrassingly easy.
I thought they might have done something more sophisticated than series high voltage.
I didn't expect the controller IC to work at +/-55V dc either!
I didn't see any electrolytics to smooth the rectified AC either...
The mod is:
Remove the 6-pin controller IC and connect the other floating output of the bridge rectifier to the two floating LED strings.
No more annoying flashing!
To the designers of these LED boxes please make them without the controller IC so they are always on.
Until then we will be removing the controller ICs and throwing them in the trash.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Consider that possibly that controller is limiting the average power by operating those LEDs with very narrow pulses during the flash "ON" time. It might be that running them constantly will exceed the power rating. Also, LEDs will dissipate MUCH MORE POWER if they are supplied with pure DC instead of rectified AC with peaks at the same voltage. So adding a filter will certainly greatly increase the power and shorten the life a lot.

Last edited:

alfwro

Joined Nov 26, 2023
Yeah, embarrassingly easy.
I thought they might have done something more sophisticated than series high voltage.
I didn't expect the controller IC to work at +/-55V dc either!
I didn't see any electrolytics to smooth the rectified AC either...
The mod is:
Remove the 6-pin controller IC and connect the other floating output of the bridge rectifier to the two floating LED strings.
No more annoying flashing!
To the designers of these LED boxes please make them without the controller IC so they are always on.
Until then we will be removing the controller ICs and throwing them in the trash.
I have the same problem, would you be able to post a picture or a drawing of your workaround?

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
One caution is that it seems that those are not just plain LEDs, but that there is more too them.I have an LED lawn decoration that uses a similar arrangement but without any flasher IC. .I experimented powering it with a Variac transformer. The LED strings illuminate at about 65 volts to the input, but they do not burn out with 120 volts AC applied. So each LED element must be more than justa diode inside that package.