Modifying AC Backup Power Supply to use 18650 in 2S Configuration

gctseng

Joined Dec 14, 2017
Goals:
  • power a Schlage Camelot Z-Wave lock (BE469) that normally uses a 4xAA battery pack (6V) on an AC adapter
  • battery backup using 18650 batteries (see parts below)
    • trickle charge 18650 when AC adapter is being used

Parts hopefully to be used (reduce/REUSE/recycle):
  • 6x 18650 Li-Ion batteries (obviously don't have to use all of them)
  • AC power supply (12V) at various amperages (1A/2A/3A) -- I also have a 6Vpower supply, but it's only rated at 200mA, and I think the lock needs at least 300mA to operate the bolt
  • DC/DC step-down voltage regulator (12V->5V [adjustable])

I found this project description:
which seems to meet what I need.

If I want to use 2x18650 in series (2S), should I worry about modifying the linked circuit if I will use the step-down regulator at 6V?

Seems like a basic question, but I'm concerned about how to trickle charge the 2S 18650 as a battery back-up while powering the lock.

Goals:
  • power a Schlage Camelot Z-Wave lock (BE469) that normally uses a 4xAA battery pack (6V) on an AC adapter
  • battery backup using 18650 batteries (see parts below)
    • trickle charge 18650 when AC adapter is being used

Parts hopefully to be used (reduce/REUSE/recycle):
  • 6x 18650 Li-Ion batteries (obviously don't have to use all of them)
  • AC power supply (12V) at various amperages (1A/2A/3A) -- I also have a 6Vpower supply, but it's only rated at 200mA, and I think the lock needs at least 300mA to operate the bolt
  • DC/DC step-down voltage regulator (12V->5V [adjustable])

I found this project description:
which seems to meet what I need.

If I want to use 2x18650 in series (2S), should I worry about modifying the linked circuit if I will use the step-down regulator at 6V?

Seems like a basic question, but I'm concerned about how to trickle charge the 2S 18650 as a battery back-up while powering the lock.
Try the TP4056 charger and then your dc-dc converter. I’m working on a similar project. Here’s the link to the data sheet for the TP4056 let me know if this helps. https://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/datasheets/Prototyping/TP4056.pdf