Mixing? Two single axis joysticks to a dual axis joystick question.

Davidius

Joined May 31, 2017
Looking for advice. Short description is let's say we have a military tank (I don't). Two tracks and there is a single lever that controls forward and reverse to each single track. Easy enough to add a servo or stepper to each lever and a single axis joystick with a control board to have linkage less control to the control seat. Here is where it gets complicated, that requires two hands to drive, if a hand is needed for any other purpose you would need to come to a stop to perform said task. My question is this, if I have one single axis joystick and a dual axis joystick and a multi contact toggle switch (or similar device) sends total control to the dual axis joystick, how in the heck can I "blend/mix" the signals to control the steering of the machine as one servo or the other or both need to be manipulated to accurately turn? Arduino or other computer based options are at the very bottom of my list as keeping spares on hand would be difficult in the event of failure out in the boonies. If I can built it on the bench here I'll do a full write up with pictures. Thank you.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... Is your application ... The 'tank' or whatever, new or old? I disassembled an old joystick on one occasion, and the leads going from the mouse pointer wires to the computer were based on current levels. There were potentiometers, but they were wired as rheostats, so that a variable current was produced.
... If there are potentiometer, do they have 3 wires connected? ... or just two wires?
... A newer joystick could be designed differently. So, maybe take the stick apart, take a few pictures ... basically need some more information about what's inside.

Davidius

Joined May 31, 2017
At present the machine is controlled by manual levers, zero electronics. I have no components on hand either. Mostly looking for any and all advice. Ill look into the mobility chairs a little closer. Thanks.