Mixed-Voltage "AND Function" w/ Both High Side & Low Side MOSFETS

BigHairyAnimal

Joined Dec 23, 2016
Hello AAC universe!

I'm working on a triac driving circuit that uses a triac optocoupler. For driving the opto-LED within the optocoupler, I need to drive it based on two signals. First, is a 5V pulse output (high or low) from a multivibrator to do some phase chopping. Second is a 24V signal (active high) which controls when it is safe to activate the triac. I want the triac to activate only when the 5V is low and the 24V is high (like an "AND" gate). This is for an industrial control product. I arrived at this solution and simulations say it's fine but I have a hunch it is sketchy for some reason. I would love some feedback on if this is a legit/reliable circuit to drive an opto-LED. Specifically, if it's ok to have both a high-side and low-side mosfet on a load since the drains might float. Gates would, of course, be pulled up-down as needed to prevent floating.

Simplified Schematic attached.

CircuitLab   Editing  Unnamed Circuit .jpg

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Looks okay, except most MOSFETs are limited to <20V for the gate-source (Vgs) voltage, so you should add a resistive divider at M1 to reduce it.
10kΩ in series with 10kΩ to ground will reduce it by 1/2, giving 12V on the gate, which should be fine.

A floating drain is not a problem.

Also M2 should be a logic-level type P-MOSFET (Vgs max threshold ≤2V).