Millionaires again!

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Hi All,

I titled my thread *Millionaires again* because I already had a thread titled *millionaire*

I do lots of online reading and I like looking at people net worth... and I just wanted to say most (not all) of people out there making millions of dollars by doing and saying nonsense while the rest of us are broke with our degrees , Masters and PHDs,...

And I just wanted to say that that's so unfair! But hey that is the way life goes. I am not talking about *billionaires* but millionaires.

So before I die I must make at least $1M because I cannot accept some b**** shaking her *** on TV and making millions and me doing complex and complicated engineering stuffs and be broke...LOL

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Well here is another slap in the face for you.

Ever wonder where those special needs (ADD, ADHD/AKA monkey boys) you went to school with went when they eventually became adults, well reached adult age status anyway?

I now know where they are. They are in the oil fields making $100K - $300K a year running drilling rig and fraccing rig equipment with no formal education. :rolleyes:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Is it better to have a million dollars or to have spent a million dollars? If the answer is the latter then it is a reasonable guess that most of us crusty types have already made and spent a million dollars in our lifetime. Money pays the rent and puts food on the table, but it does not buy happiness. (Yes, I did just make that up.)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Adage: Every contract involves a seller who believe he is getting more than the item or service is worth and a buyer who believes he is paying less than the item or service is worth.

That is neither nonsense nor unfair. It is a market. PhD's , physicians, engineers, and so forth are not valued as highly in many markets as a beautiful women who can read a news script* or a halfway successful football coach. How would you change the market to make it "fair?" Have you tried to become a talking head newscaster or actor? What happened?

John

*You might be surprised with the paper qualifications of some female newscasters. Some were very successful before getting their current jobs.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Is it better to have a million dollars or to have spent a million dollars? If the answer is the latter then it is a reasonable guess that most of us crusty types have already made and spent a million dollars in our lifetime. Money pays the rent and puts food on the table, but it does not buy happiness. (Yes, I did just make that up.)
LOL...Of course most of us have already spent $1M with rent, everyday food, school fees and... but you know what I mean *net worth*...

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
It does not take much thinking to know that I do not aspire to be a "celebrity". There is not enough money to get the bad taste out of my mouth if I was one of the "celebrities" you are referring to. But,I am a celebrity to my grandson, and that is very cool.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Quick mental math says I am an near or at $million net worth. But, I'm unemployed so that may not be true for long. Didn't do anything "outstanding" but work hard for my entire life thus far, and save or invest a little. Oh, nothing outstanding excepting raising two good kids.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Rather than spending time driving yourself nuts, ignore them and find a way to make your own millions.

That's what I did...
Yes! I'm working on that... just need a push to start flying on my own...
Sounds like you are already at least $1M net worth..:)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I find it humorous that those who have money say that money does not buy them happiness. Fair enough I suppose but everyone who has told me that I have told them that it's not the least bit true and they know it.

Here's why.

If you are wealthy and it makes you unhappy you can always give it away and there will always be line of people who will happily take your misery off your hands for you.
Now however if you are poor and it makes you miserable there is not a single sane person alive who will step up to take that off your hands. ;)

Personally I am not rich or well off but I have a considerably above average set of resources at my disposal to live by and on and use to help others at any time. That in itself certainly helps keep me happy! :D

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It hasn't been said exactly, so I'll say it: "if it were so easy, everybody would be doing it."

It makes you sick that a hollywood slut shakes her rear and gets millions for it? It's not like she stole the money. She's providing a service that people are more than willing to stand in line just for a chance to pay for, and it isn't even a tangible good that they can take home or even touch once. It's an idea; a memory; an experience. Anyone who can sell something of absolutely zero material worth for millions of dollars is pretty smart, no matter how dumb they are.

Also consider that not all celebrities are attractive, funny, or good musicians or actors: Oprah, rosie odonnell, zach galifinakis... how did they manage to get on TV I wonder. It must not have been easy. There must have been a lot of dedication there, and risk.

Risk is one thing that people almost always refuse to acknowledge when they start their condemnations of the wealthy. You don't ever (ever) get wealthy by playing by the rules and working lots of overtime, slaving away for someone else in hopes they'll one day reward you for your efforts. You do it by taking any other route; stepping out of line, taking on some RISK. No risk no reward. Pro ball players; how many of them you think there are who didn't make the cut? I see a lot of them lifting pipes down the road. They put their whole life into playing ball. They were high school varsity stars; they went on to college in hopes of getting drafted but they were outshined by someone who was 1% more skilled and and had 1% more drive and dedication. Now they lift pipes. That's the risk they took and and it blew up in the face of the vast majority of them. Only a select few make it into the big leagues and make the kind of money that the rest of the world is jealous of. And those select few would not be where they are had they listened to all the voices telling them about odds and probability. They made it because they are stubborn and self confident, and apparently pretty smart since they figured out how to get rich doing something they love while the rest of us "braniacs" sit around and bitch about not being able to find a way to do the same.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
With a time frame of 40 years accumulating 1M dollars is really not that hard. Remember that interest rates were north of 15% as recently as 1980!

In 1982 my NW was in the low two figures. It has advanced somewhat since then.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Ask Brownout , Loosewire has a million dollar attitude ,plus a little sun. Life can be fun, meeting great people like Brownout.

Not a lot to say lately ,no fun.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Years ago, when talking about how successful were the alumni graduated in a certain military academy someone from the staff told me: they just tell you of those that had real success!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Since most people arrive at retirement without a pot to spit in or a window to throw it out of I'm not surprised that there is some ill feeling out there. If y'all are looking for sympathy, you'll find it in the dictionary between "shirt" and "syphilis".

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Since most people arrive at retirement without a pot to spit in or a window to throw it out of I'm not surprised that there is some ill feeling out there.
That would be my wife. If it was up to her every dime we make would be spent immediately with zero concern for what may be needed to live on tomorrow. :(