Microsoft changing terms of service - taking away right to licensed material.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Tony, could you provide the particular paragraph(s) in the new ToS you are taking about? I tried to find something and can't.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/upcoming.aspx
Section 4.a.ii Account Use which says: (in part)
You must use your Microsoft account to keep it active. This means you must sign in at least once in a two-year period to keep your Microsoft account, and associated Services, active, unless a longer period is provided in the Microsoft account activity policy at https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=2086738 or in an offer for a paid portion of the Services. If you don’t sign in during this time, we will assume your Microsoft account is inactive and will close it for you. Please see section 4.a.iv.2 for the consequences of a closed Microsoft account. You must sign into your Outlook.com inbox and your OneDrive (separately) at least once in a one-year period, otherwise we will close your Outlook.com inbox and your OneDrive for you.

Section 4.a.vi.2 says
  • 2. If your Microsoft account is closed (whether by you or us), a few things happen. First, your right to use the Microsoft account to access the Services stops immediately. Second, we’ll delete Data or Your Content associated with your Microsoft account or will otherwise disassociate it from you and your Microsoft account (unless we are required by law to keep it, return it, or transfer it to you or a third party identified by you). You should have a regular backup plan as Microsoft won’t be able to retrieve Your Content or Data once your account is closed. Third, you may lose access to products you’ve acquired.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/upcoming.aspx
Section 4.a.ii Account Use which says: (in part)
You must use your Microsoft account to keep it active. This means you must sign in at least once in a two-year period to keep your Microsoft account, and associated Services, active, unless a longer period is provided in the Microsoft account activity policy at https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=2086738 or in an offer for a paid portion of the Services. If you don’t sign in during this time, we will assume your Microsoft account is inactive and will close it for you. Please see section 4.a.iv.2 for the consequences of a closed Microsoft account. You must sign into your Outlook.com inbox and your OneDrive (separately) at least once in a one-year period, otherwise we will close your Outlook.com inbox and your OneDrive for you.

Section 4.a.vi.2 says
  • 2. If your Microsoft account is closed (whether by you or us), a few things happen. First, your right to use the Microsoft account to access the Services stops immediately. Second, we’ll delete Data or Your Content associated with your Microsoft account or will otherwise disassociate it from you and your Microsoft account (unless we are required by law to keep it, return it, or transfer it to you or a third party identified by you). You should have a regular backup plan as Microsoft won’t be able to retrieve Your Content or Data once your account is closed. Third, you may lose access to products you’ve acquired.
I believe that is referring to those things that already phone home for licensing. I don't think that refers to current products that are activated by a license code at installation. Some things use network-based licensing.

I don't like this sort of license agreement either, but lately I find that subscription software works well enough for me. It includes all the updates and in the end doesn't cost even as much as paying for the various upgrades as they are released.

In any case, I don't think your current Office Suite is going to be affected though upgrades very well might be.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I believe that is referring to those things that already phone home for licensing. I don't think that refers to current products that are activated by a license code at installation. Some things use network-based licensing.

I don't like this sort of license agreement either, but lately I find that subscription software works well enough for me. It includes all the updates and in the end doesn't cost even as much as paying for the various upgrades as they are released.

In any case, I don't think your current Office Suite is going to be affected though upgrades very well might be.
its interesting @Yaakov

As far as I know, I only have purchased for life licences, yet Im getting the email,

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Well, I keep backups of everything. So if MS turns off my license to use the older version, the one I OWN the license for, I'll just use one of the other recommended free operating systems.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
its interesting @Yaakov

As far as I know, I only have purchased for life licences, yet Im getting the email,
The email is about the Microsoft Services account. You are getting it because at some time you signed up for an MS account. I can’t be 100% certain but I am quite confident that it has nothing to do with traditionally licensed software you purchased.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Well, I hope not. But if you knew me well enough you'd know that I see little things like this and blow them up to the size of our sun.
To some extent I can’t blame you. The whole thing Is quite asymmetrical. I wish there were better laws around software licensing.protecting consumers.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I spoke too soon. Got my MS email at about 1AM this morning.

I logged into my account. I can no longer remember why I even have one. Maybe to get on an Excel forum? No idea. I'm virtually certain that closing that account will have zero impact on my installed Office apps.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
MS has lots of lawyers. Remember the MS vs. Apple copyright infringement battle of the trashcan Icon? MS is moving into the Cloudsphere services arena offering online hosting capabilities. At first free to those who hold renewable licenses of their products or by paying for hosting contracts. It didn't take MS very long to figure out that they were losing money to pirates and fixed lifetime licenses and move to correct that.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Im guessing , given all your inputs , thank you
that MS aim is to clear out un used accounts,
which I would equate to Google clearing out email accounts not used after a certain time.

But its less than clear,

I also noted at the weekend when I helped a fried install W10, that you require a MS account now to install W10 ,
and after installation , abs no mention I could see of the account ever again.

so is this another way of trying to limit the second hand market for machines ? your version of W10 will be locked to an account, which if not used for to years will suddenly stop working and can not be re registered ?