Microprocessor/ Microcontroller based system

saleemsm

Joined May 15, 2006
hello

thanks for taking interest.

i am working on a project or rather... starting on---

i have thought of working on a μp or μc based project.

need all the help that can be given... from design to prototype (as i am a newbie not only here but to the field too)

thanks for your time.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by saleemsm@May 16 2006, 01:58 AM
hello

thanks for taking interest.

i am working on a project or rather... starting on---

i have thought of working on a  μp or  μc based project.

need all the help that can be given... from design to prototype (as i am a newbie not only here but to the field too)

thanks for your time.
[post=17135]Quoted post[/post]​
Sounds like you are in the early stages of the project.

In general, what are you interested in doing with your microcontroller/microprocessor?

The answer to that question will help you narrow the field of solutions that are available.

Are you interested in programming in assembly language or are you wanting to use a high-level language such as "C"?

What are you comfortable spending to do this project?

Do you have any time constraints placed on the completion of this project or is time a non-factor?

These are but a few things to consider. With answers to the above questions you should be ready to begin selecting a microcontroller or microprocessor that fits your project goals and begin the process of designing you circuit.

The AAC forum members are here to guide and assist you with any question or problems that you encounter along the way.

Since this is your first project with microcontrollers or microprocessors, I would suggest that you keep the project simple. This will enhance your chances for a successful outcome and allow you to focus on gaining experience with the fundamentals of these very useful devices. Once you have a simple project under your belt you can take on more challenging designs.

Good Luck,
hgmjr

saleemsm

Joined May 15, 2006
Originally posted by hgmjr@May 16 2006, 05:43 AM
Sounds like you are in the early stages of the project.

In general, what are you interested in doing with your microcontroller/microprocessor?
The answer to that question will help you narrow the field of solutions that are available.

Are you interested in programming in assembly language or are you wanting to use a high-level language such as "C"?

What are you comfortable spending to do this project?

Do you have any time constraints placed on the completion of this project or is time a non-factor?

These are but a few things to consider. With answers to the above questions you should be ready to begin selecting a microcontroller or microprocessor that fits your project goals and begin the process of designing you circuit.

The AAC forum members are here to guide and assist you with any question or problems that you encounter along the way.

Since this is your first project with microcontrollers or microprocessors, I would suggest that you keep the project simple. This will enhance your chances for a successful outcome and allow you to focus on gaining experience with the fundamentals of these very useful devices. Once you have a simple project under your belt you can take on more challenging designs.

Good Luck,
hgmjr
[post=17141]Quoted post[/post]​

No time contraint.

would like to use cross compilers and work with C in programming level.

what i want my processor to do?
well i want to use either 8051 or 8085/86 preferably 8051.

i actually know only a little basics of electronics, know the architecture of the processors in the block diagram level, no insite stuffs :(

even i want to focus on a small project but can you suggest something?

i have a few to do projects in a book but they are specific for atmel's PIC's... thought of reconfiguring it for 8051 is it a good idea?

and thank you for your patience.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by saleemsm@May 16 2006, 08:48 AM
No time contraint.

would like to use cross compilers and work with C in programming level.

what i want my processor to do?
well i want to use either 8051 or 8085/86 preferably 8051.

i actually know only a little basics of electronics, know the architecture of the processors in the block diagram level, no insite stuffs :(

even i want to focus on a small project but can you suggest something?

i have a few to do projects in a book but they are specific for atmel's PIC's... thought of reconfiguring it for 8051 is it a good idea?

and thank you for your patience.
[post=17146]Quoted post[/post]​
While I am very familiar with the 8051 microprocessor, I am not that familiar with the software development tools that are currently available.

I can speak from direct experience with Atmel's AVR series. And IMHO, the capabilities available in the AVR series rival the 8051 in a number of areas.

The biggest thing going for the AVR series is that the software is free. You can go to Atmel's website right now and download their AVRStudio4 software development tools and be coding within minutes using assembly language. The AVRStudio4 software has full simulation capability that allows you to debug your program at the source code level.

There is also a free "C" compiler available but I have not used it to date.

You can purchase the ATSTK500 Starter Kit for around $80 dollars from Digikey and have everthing you need to start developing and testing your code on actual Atmel AVR devices. The AVR series is re-programmable so you can write a piece of code and debug it on the ATSTK500 and then add a new routine to your program and quickly re-program the AVR device within a matter of seconds.

If you are receptive to a processor other than the 8051, I would take a serious look at the AVR series. It is hard to beat the $80 price tag to get started in microprocessor based hardware development.

You asked for a suggestion on what type of project you should take on. If you choose to take the AVR route, the ATSTK500 development board contains 8 LEDs and a bank of 8 pushbutton switches. These allow you to experiment with writing code to read switches and manipulate the LEDs. This way you can get comfortable with the software and the AVR microcontroller devices before you jump into the deep end of the pool.

hgmjr

saleemsm

Joined May 15, 2006
Originally posted by hgmjr@May 16 2006, 11:20 AM
While I am very familiar with the 8051 microprocessor, I am not that familiar with the software development tools that are currently available.

I can speak from direct experience with Atmel's AVR series. And IMHO, the capabilities available in the AVR series rival the 8051 in a number of areas.

The biggest thing going for the AVR series is that the software is free. You can go to Atmel's website right now and download their AVRStudio4 software development tools and be coding within minutes using assembly language. The AVRStudio4 software has full simulation capability that allows you to debug your program at the source code level.

There is also a free "C" compiler available but I have not used it to date.

You can purchase the ATSTK500 Starter Kit for around $80 dollars from Digikey and have everthing you need to start developing and testing your code on actual Atmel AVR devices. The AVR series is re-programmable so you can write a piece of code and debug it on the ATSTK500 and then add a new routine to your program and quickly re-program the AVR device within a matter of seconds.

If you are receptive to a processor other than the 8051, I would take a serious look at the AVR series. It is hard to beat the $80 price tag to get started in microprocessor based hardware development.

You asked for a suggestion on what type of project you should take on. If you choose to take the AVR route, the ATSTK500 development board contains 8 LEDs and a bank of 8 pushbutton switches. These allow you to experiment with writing code to read switches and manipulate the LEDs. This way you can get comfortable with the software and the AVR microcontroller devices before you jump into the deep end of the pool.

hgmjr
[post=17152]Quoted post[/post]​

cool thanks

will try those and let you know how well i faired soon

take care.

and thanks for the support.

saha

Joined Jun 1, 2006
Originally posted by saleemsm@May 17 2006, 09:41 AM
cool thanks

will try those and let you know how well i faired soon

take care.

and thanks for the support.
[post=17172]Quoted post[/post]​
well i hope that you can start with 8051 (specifically a 40 pin micro) building a partial emulator is a good idea (i mean a typical trainer kit) thereby you can develop many more by keeping this as a emulation platform. i developed one and it was really a fun working with it. it has some interface like ADC, LCD, 8KB RAM, PRINTER PORT 8 STATUS LEDs, Key pad, serial port. I don't think once you developed this there won't be any more problem when you need to do another project on 8051 micro. i got a link on making 8051 programmer. as this is not cracked or got from illegal way i can share this with you . also i forgot the lik but sved the contents and webpages hope this might be useful. i feel that you strart working by writing some small assembly language programs. there is one more site www.iguanalabs.com . if you login you can dwnload an assembler for 8051 it is METALINK assembler. i have workrd with this one and hope that is enough to start as a beginer. you can dwnld the EMILY 52 simulator a small dos based simulaot for 8051 simulations. The interface is simple and almost very quick to learn.