Micro-usb and USB-C as alternatives?

GreatMagicalHat

Joined Dec 22, 2023
I have designed a simple pcb with an esp8266 on it. It's using a micro-usb port for power and programming the esp. For my next version, I'm thinking about having both a micro-usb port and a USB-C port. They should function as alternatives: if either is plugged in, it should be possible to use it for power or data (usb2 only). I don't really care what the behavior is when both are plugged in, as long as that does not damage any hardware.

I have designed this schematic for this purpose:
1703249298566.png\

Would this work the way I intend for it to?

GreatMagicalHat

Joined Dec 22, 2023
CH340C: usb to serial
RT9013-33PB: power management
ESP12S: as mcu

I didn't include them in the schematic because I thought they weren't relevant. My thinking was this that I need to make sure that:

1. the power and data lines are connected properly for usage with either connector
2. If both connectors are plugged in, I need to make sure that this doesn't have the potential to do damage to my circuitry, or to either device plugged in

I didn't think that would involve knowing about the IC's. I know those work with just the micro usb port, so their function is verified. But I'll have a look at the CH340 documentation if there's anything useful in there.

Thanks!