Mesh current vs Branch current + Attn: Grecophones

nkuhlman

Joined Mar 13, 2022
Hello, and thanks for allowing me into your forum.

I am an adult student/student over traditional age in a certificate program as an electrical installation technician at a private institution (IEK) in Greece. Why? It's a long story. The language of instruction is Greek, which is not my first language. Improving my ability to think in Greek is a primary reason for doing it here and not in the US. But, some concepts remain problematic.

There are certain ideas that remain ambiguous in translation. In particular, we are just now getting into network analysis, and the phrase used so far could be translated either as Mesh current or Loop current, or maybe Branch current. To further confuse things, some of the English resources online employ a lot of Britishisms and/or are obvioiusly machine-translated from some other language.

So, my question for the moment is: are these just different names for the same thing, or different ideas altogether? I've read recently that all meshes are loops, but not all loops are meshes. Branches appear to be a different matter, but again it depends on who you ask.

Further, I'd be pleased to make the acquaintance of Greek speakers interested in electricity & electronics, not necessarily for the purpose of homework help.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
You're going to get a bunch of opinions of how these terms are interpreted by the opinion-giver and their specific experiences. It may be helpful to clarify the context of your topic.
A "mesh network" can be an array of GoogleHome wifi nodes placed n your home and they form a network to get data from your device to the router and to the cable-modem where the ISP cable enters your home.

A "current Loop" is used to communicate a value from a sensor to an HMI device or a PLC to regulate/monitor a system. The sensor typically gives a 4 to 20mA current as the signal and, unlike a voltage, the current loop signal can be sent one distances as the current doesn't change in a series circuit.

We need clarification/context.

RBR1317

Joined Nov 13, 2010
There are certain ideas that remain ambiguous in translation. In particular, we are just now getting into network analysis, and the phrase used so far could be translated either as Mesh current or Loop current, or maybe Branch current.
I think you may be worrying about issues that are inconsequential. But the one thing most important to understand about mesh current analysis is that Kirchoff’s Voltage Law (KVL) is the basis for mesh current. While KVL applies to any circuit loop, the method for defining mesh loops is designed to provide some simplicity and regularity to the analysis. (It seems difficult enough keeping track of the currents in mesh analysis without needing to get ‘creative’ about the circuit loops. That is why I only ever do nodal analysis. Mesh—Never touch the stuff.)

nkuhlman

Joined Mar 13, 2022
Thank you for your responses.

There is a lot of extraneous information in my original post, which did not help the clarity of my question. It was meant partly as an introduction, since it was my first post on this forum. Probably it would have been better to split it into two posts. In any event, my question has been answered AND if there's any Greek speakers in the room, please continue to feel free to reply, or PM if that is an option on this platform.