Memory storage choices for bit map

SoaringFree

Joined Sep 15, 2016
Hello all,
I was thinking of a project that I would be using a small .6 diag. 64x48 screen size oled to display some data and have some push buttons to control some scrolling of menu choices. I was thinking of having a simple graphic in the bit mat format shown at start up before going to my main menu. I know I could use an sd card to store the bit map, but is it possible to use another kind of external memory such as a serial or parallel flash, or another nonvolatile memory in IC form? I see Microchip has serial and parallel flash as large as 64 Mb. Are there large ones out there?

Thanks for your feedback to my question.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are various non-volatile memory chips available. Before you go there you need to specify the MCU that you plan to use.

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
I use a pic18f4620 for a small job I do.. I have a 128x128 screen and I get around 6 complete screen pictures and they fit comfortably in ROM!!

As MrChips said.... If you need external memory, the trick would be to read it in fast enough to display comfortably... A 64 x48 screen wouldn't give any problems even 8 bit colour would be small..

SoaringFree

Joined Sep 15, 2016
I use a pic18f4620 for a small job I do.. I have a 128x128 screen and I get around 6 complete screen pictures and they fit comfortably in ROM!!

As MrChips said.... If you need external memory, the trick would be to read it in fast enough to display comfortably... A 64 x48 screen wouldn't give any problems even 8 bit colour would be small..
Yes, I am not sure if I will need the external memory or not. As this is new territory for me at this stage I just have a lot of questions. I would at most I believe have 2-3 pictures.

Thank you

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Do the math.
64 x 48 1-bit pixels = 3072 bits = 384 bytes
Eight full screen images would require 3k bytes.
You can store these in the MCU flash memory. You would not need external memory.

PIC18F24K22 has 16K bytes Flash
PIC18F26K22 has 64k bytes Flash

SoaringFree

Joined Sep 15, 2016
Do the math.
64 x 48 1-bit pixels = 3072 bits = 384 bytes
Eight full screen images would require 3k bytes.
You can store these in the MCU flash memory. You would not need external memory.

PIC18F24K22 has 16K bytes Flash
PIC18F26K22 has 64k bytes Flash
MrChips,
That is what I came up with for the math. Maybe I am over thinking this....yeah, I am.....this all makes more sense now.....thanks for your help.